1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organisation of the school day in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KarrieGem, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

As I have said in my other thread tomorrow is my first day of supply with a Reception class. I have never had Reception before and the last teaching experience I had was with KS2 so I am completly new to Reception. I have seen the plan for tomorrow but am not too sure about some of the things so feel a bit unclear about it at the moment. My question I suppose is could someone give me an idea of an 'average' day in Reception and how it is organised? I realise that it will be different in different schools obviously but on the plans I am looking at it says that for example, am going to be doing some maths assessments with the new intake children to determine whether they can count to 20 etc. So what do the other children do while I am doing this? Is it quite free in Reception so that while I am working with a child or group the other children play? Sorry if it's a silly question but having been used to the more structured curriculum in KS2 I'm not too sure how to approach it. Any advice appreciated,

K x

2. Hi everyone,

As I have said in my other thread tomorrow is my first day of supply with a Reception class. I have never had Reception before and the last teaching experience I had was with KS2 so I am completly new to Reception. I have seen the plan for tomorrow but am not too sure about some of the things so feel a bit unclear about it at the moment. My question I suppose is could someone give me an idea of an 'average' day in Reception and how it is organised? I realise that it will be different in different schools obviously but on the plans I am looking at it says that for example, am going to be doing some maths assessments with the new intake children to determine whether they can count to 20 etc. So what do the other children do while I am doing this? Is it quite free in Reception so that while I am working with a child or group the other children play? Sorry if it's a silly question but having been used to the more structured curriculum in KS2 I'm not too sure how to approach it. Any advice appreciated,

K x

3. Hi, the way I organise the day at the moment in my Reception class is: whole class phonics input, then I work with a group on a focus activity (could be maths or literacy) while the rest of the children play inside and outside. Then we have whole class story time and then they go out to break with the rest of the school.
    After break the children play for an hour and I observe them and play with them. Then it's lunchtime.
    After lunch I do a whole class input (could be knowledge and understanding of the world, or creative) and then I do a follow-up activity with a group while the rest of the children play inside and outside.
    Then we get together at the end of the day and we talk about what we did that day and I might show some good pieces of work that the children produced. Then we sing some songs and then it's hometime.
    That's how I do it at the moment. Hope that helps! As someone said on your other thread the TA will be able to tell you what the routine is there..
    Good luck!

4. littlest hobo

littlest hobo New commenter

Hello, we do it like this:
    Register and wake and shake with the nursery class
    Phonics
    T/TA Small group work whilst the rest of the class play inside and in our shared area
    Assembly (during which time I hear readers)
    Playtime (snack table outside)
    Teacher input (maths/cll)
    T/TA Small group work whilst the rest of the class play inside and in our shared area
    Story/Lunch
    Teacher input (topic based - KUW/CD)
    The adult who is not working with a group will play alongside the children and make observations.
    Singing/story
    Home time

It works for us, hope it helps
    xx