1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organisation of maths in Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frothycoffee, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I was wondering how other people organise their class for maths.
    At the moment I have all children on the carpet and do a starter and then input (all of the children have whiteboards and show workings and answers).
    Next the children are in 5 ability groups and they go to their table where there is a card showing them what their maths job for that day is. There is also an extension question on the card for more able to try at the end.
    I don't feel that this system is working that well as my TA works with the less able every day which means I am trying to get around each table and explain different activities if they don't understand them or need help.
    Any suggestions please? I was considering having a focus task with me (one group per day), and letting the other groups choose from certain maths activities but not sure whether this would be chaos.
    Thank you