1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

organisation in mixed rex/yr 1 template gived

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisa_2008, May 21, 2010.

1. Hi ive been teaching rec/yr1 for a couple of years now and have changed the way i plan/organise everything thousands of times trying to get it right!. I have had lots of people in saying im not doing the right thing for one year group or the other (usually not enough CI learning) so i think i have finally solved it!
    I now have this organisation:
    Monday --> letters and sounds morning. I teach letters and sounds to 1 group whilst TA teaches it to other group. Then TA does phonics assessments with each child throughout the morning whilst i call 1 group at a time over (in outside area) to complete a phonic activity. We hen have playtime and after that i do a mental maths and whole class teaching of maths session (about 15mins) then we continue with our groups/assessments. By the way, all of the other children are accessing CI activities from continous provision areas whilst we are working with groups/individuals.

Tuesday --> maths morning. I teach whole class maths first thing then i have a group at a time throughout morning to complete a maths activity whilst TA observes/assesses CI learning. The children can choose from inside or outside activities and have free flow between the two. One adult will be focussed inside and the other outside (dependening on the guided group activity). After play, we do letters and sounds teaching followed by a short literacy whole class session (usually sharing bg book we will be using or something similar) then we continue with work from before play.

Wednesday --> Literacy morning. Same as tuesday but the opposite way round and guided literacy activities.

Thursday --> As tuesday.

Friday --> as wednesday

I have found that this way all children are getting a guided activity everyday and all getting child initiated everyday (that is being observed and assessed as before 'choosing ' was just choosing and no point to it!)
    Every morning, we also have an independent activity that all children have to complete by lunchtime (they choose when they do it as long as it gets done) This activity is focussed on the opposite subject area to the guided activity e.g. on a literacy morning the independent activity is maths and on a maths morning the independent activity is literacy based. When they have finished, the children colour their name in on a sheet that has all of their names on. This has given all of the children more independence!
    In the afternoons tis is what we do:
    Monday --> PE and then CI learning whilst we hear readers/do group reading. Then we have PSHE session
    Tuesday --> Whole class teaching of topic area followed by 1 adult doing focussed task and other observing CI play. We also have an independent activity that runs on tues/thurs/fri. (they have to have finished it by friday afternoon) then we hear readers/guided reading. Then we have spanish session/story.
    Wednesday --> ICT half the class stay with me for this and other half go to library with TA to change books/ read to her etc then we swap over for the other group. CI learning after they have been to the library until we are ready to swap. Then we have a music session/story.

Thursday --> As tuesday. We do RE at end of day.
    Friday --> As thursday.

This seems to be working for us. We have 3 intakes so we have just had children start school straight from nursery so they need more CI play than some of the older children but they still nedd to have the guided sessions because they need to 'catch up' with the rest of the class as they will be yr 1 in a term!!!

Hope this is helpful to someone. I am forever searching the TES for ideas to improve my teaching/learning. so i thought i might put this on here for others. Hope it helps.

Sorry it's so long, a lot goes on in a day!!!!

2. Hi ive been teaching rec/yr1 for a couple of years now and have changed the way i plan/organise everything thousands of times trying to get it right!. I have had lots of people in saying im not doing the right thing for one year group or the other (usually not enough CI learning) so i think i have finally solved it!
    I now have this organisation:
    Monday --> letters and sounds morning. I teach letters and sounds to 1 group whilst TA teaches it to other group. Then TA does phonics assessments with each child throughout the morning whilst i call 1 group at a time over (in outside area) to complete a phonic activity. We hen have playtime and after that i do a mental maths and whole class teaching of maths session (about 15mins) then we continue with our groups/assessments. By the way, all of the other children are accessing CI activities from continous provision areas whilst we are working with groups/individuals.

Tuesday --> maths morning. I teach whole class maths first thing then i have a group at a time throughout morning to complete a maths activity whilst TA observes/assesses CI learning. The children can choose from inside or outside activities and have free flow between the two. One adult will be focussed inside and the other outside (dependening on the guided group activity). After play, we do letters and sounds teaching followed by a short literacy whole class session (usually sharing bg book we will be using or something similar) then we continue with work from before play.

Wednesday --> Literacy morning. Same as tuesday but the opposite way round and guided literacy activities.

Thursday --> As tuesday.

Friday --> as wednesday

I have found that this way all children are getting a guided activity everyday and all getting child initiated everyday (that is being observed and assessed as before 'choosing ' was just choosing and no point to it!)
    Every morning, we also have an independent activity that all children have to complete by lunchtime (they choose when they do it as long as it gets done) This activity is focussed on the opposite subject area to the guided activity e.g. on a literacy morning the independent activity is maths and on a maths morning the independent activity is literacy based. When they have finished, the children colour their name in on a sheet that has all of their names on. This has given all of the children more independence!
    In the afternoons tis is what we do:
    Monday --> PE and then CI learning whilst we hear readers/do group reading. Then we have PSHE session
    Tuesday --> Whole class teaching of topic area followed by 1 adult doing focussed task and other observing CI play. We also have an independent activity that runs on tues/thurs/fri. (they have to have finished it by friday afternoon) then we hear readers/guided reading. Then we have spanish session/story.
    Wednesday --> ICT half the class stay with me for this and other half go to library with TA to change books/ read to her etc then we swap over for the other group. CI learning after they have been to the library until we are ready to swap. Then we have a music session/story.

Thursday --> As tuesday. We do RE at end of day.
    Friday --> As thursday.

This seems to be working for us. We have 3 intakes so we have just had children start school straight from nursery so they need more CI play than some of the older children but they still nedd to have the guided sessions because they need to 'catch up' with the rest of the class as they will be yr 1 in a term!!!

Hope this is helpful to someone. I am forever searching the TES for ideas to improve my teaching/learning. so i thought i might put this on here for others. Hope it helps.

Sorry it's so long, a lot goes on in a day!!!!

3. I am just about to start a new job teaching a mixed reception year 1 class. It was very useful to read what you do and how you fit everything in.
    Thanks for sharing!

4. Hi I have just been given the good news that I am having a mixed reception & year one class in September. I have taught both age groups for many years but never had the two together. I will have a TA for part of the day. This plan looks great, any other advice would be welcome.
    Proccy

5. Going to find this very useful over the coming year! Thanks!!

6. Glad to hear that reception and year one works, my parents a little rattled at the minute. Year ones don't think they will be stretched and disturbed by reception. Reception ones worried they will repeat work in year one. I have explained that single year groups have a great spread of ability.

7. Hello, thank you for this it is really helpful. My first term teaching mixed R/1 has been a nightmare so any help is good! Just wondering - do you use the primary national strategy units for maths and literacy for your year 1s? if not, what do you follow? thank you!

8. Yes, we follow units for literacy from ational strategy for year 1's and then adapt the objectives to meet reception. Same with the maths.