1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

organisation for Taster |Sessions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by graleystives, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Please may I ask advice from experienced early years teachers - I am new to the role and have a lot to learn.
    I will have a mixed Reception and Year 1 class in September and for the taster mornings the new starters will come in about 15 minutes after the existing Reception children and spend the morning with us.
    In past years the new starters have joined the existing children on the carpet for a get to know you session. However I am concerned that as the children are likely to arrive over a period of several minutes this is likely to mean too long sitting still for the new and existing children (who will already have been there 15 minutes). Also it means I cannot greet children and parents unless my TA is on the carpet.
    I am inclined to set the existing children to some activities straight away and then as the new children arrive let them choose an activity/area. I can then say hello and mingle. I thought we could come to the carpet after half an hour or so to play a game/for everyone to start to get to know one another and have a snack.
    Will this work? Will it be too disruptive as the children wont want to break off?
    I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions for doing things better.
    Many thanks

2. Your idea sounds good. How about have the original group on the carpet to explain what you are going to do first as they will find it difficult to break off. Explain that you will give a (previously known) signal. Send them to their activities and then warn them also that 'in 5 minutes we are going to come to the carpet altogether' and give a signal to say the time has come. First days are always fraught one way or another no matter how organised you are. Keep the activities super simple and very familiar.

Mind you, if the previous system worked, why change it?

3. Your idea sounds good. How about have the original group on the carpet to explain what you are going to do first as they will find it difficult to break off. Explain that you will give a (previously known) signal. Send them to their activities and then warn them also that 'in 5 minutes we are going to come to the carpet altogether' and give a signal to say the time has come. First days are always fraught one way or another no matter how organised you are. Keep the activities super simple and very familiar.

Mind you, if the previous system worked, why change it?

4. Thanks for your comments.