1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organisation....filing dilemas!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by meggriffin, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Everyone is saying to stay on top of filing which is obviously <u>very</u> important. As student teachers how have you done this?
    Do you have an A4 lever arch per class?
    I.e.. You teach 4 years, with 5 classes from varying sets so you would need 20 files for that year.
    So then you need to do the same year on year? (Which will cost a fortune)!
    Or do you file it such as Shakespeare resources, Spelling and Grammar etc?
    I'm so confused as how to start planning my organising!!!
    Please can you tell me what you found works best for you? Thanks

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Personally I wouldn't bother organising your files yet as most universities are very particular in the ways they want you to organise them.

3. mypseudonym

mypseudonym New commenter

I don't think there is much you can do by way of starting to get organised before you start the course in september and get more infor on how the course runs and what is expected of you with regards to what records your particular provider expects from you.
    I am starting a secondary PGCE in September and would like to also get a head start on being organised - but until I know what they want there's not much I can do.
    However, with the knowledge that there will be a LOT of paper work I am stock piling lever arch files, dividers, polly pockets, plastic folders, post-its, pens, pencils, highligters, printer paper, notepads etc.
    (I'd like to thank my current employer for there stationary cupboard for all of that! LOL)
    Until the course start I just have a line of folders stuffed with paper and dividers along one wall in my room.

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

As previously said, I'd wait until you've started so you can start categorising the quite ridiculous amount of paper that you'll receive and produce! My PDP (professional development portfolio which provides evidence of reaching QTS standards) is done via online software at my ITT, so that's cut mine down. Otherwise I've got about 8 big lever arch files divided into resources, observation feedback forms, lesson plans, paperwork from each of my placement schools, and paperwork issued on both sides of my course - subject teaching and professional studies.
    Don't forget you can get 15% off at Rymans with your NUS card!