1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organisation app/program for teachers

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Elbow_Patches, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Elbow_Patches

Elbow_Patches New commenter

Hello all,

I'm looking for an app or program to help me organise myself. I'm starting my NQT year next week and have ended up teaching 5 subjects, to 15 classes in 3 different buildings of the school. I'm looking for a digital organiser to use on my iPad and/or laptop that will be able to do the following:

Divide the day/week into the times of my school day (5 hour long lessons, 2 half hour lunch and a 15 minute break) and after school schedule.

Assign each time slot to a class including a profile for each pupil.

Save details and pictures of each pupil, including attendance, grades etc.

Show a seating plan with pictures of each student. This could also allow me to tap a student to give a positive or negative mark, make a note etc.

I've found some programs that do some of these things, but not all, or at least not free. My school uses SIMS, but I think it leaves something to be desired so I want to have another organiser, preferably one I can use on my iPad during lessons, then save results for use on my PC.

Thanks for any help!

EP

2. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

3. BrooklynOyster

BrooklynOyster New commenter

iDoceo does exactly everything you're asking for! It's on the app store.

4. danlee

danlee New commenter

Welcome to teaching.

Your school will probably give you a teacher's planner so I would use this.

Don't overplan as you will burn out - just focus on what matters.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Please be very careful about putting pupil information on your own device: there are data protection considerations. The advantage of SIMS and its competitors is that data is stored on a server and should be relatively secure (some schools have had serious breaches with the ICO involved.) Have a chat with the IT technicians or network manager - they may well be able to give you very specific advice within the school's policies and procedures.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree with above. Some of the data falls under the DPA and should not be on your own devices. Use the system provided by your school.

7. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

Agreed. Unless the hardware is owned by the school, storing students email addresses, adding photos etc on a tablet or phone is an extraordinarily bad idea. As an NQT, you can (just) be forgiven for not understanding the implications of what you are thinking of doing. Wait until you have started at the school and then discuss it with your line manager.

8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Qualified, should mean that this is understood!

9. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

As pointed out above putting student details on your own device is breaking the law. Take a look at the video on the page below from the ICO about data and schools, even putting the kids name down is enough to breach the law

ico.org.uk/.../education