1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

orders ship/are shipped

Discussion in 'English' started by morrisbarr22, Oct 20, 2019.

1. morrisbarr22

morrisbarr22 New commenter

Which of these sentences is most grammatically correct?
    1) Orders ship within 1-3 business days of purchase.
    2) Orders are shipped within 1-3 business days of purchase.

2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

I don't think one is more correct than the other, although because 2 is in the passive voice, I'd be less inclined to use it.

3. morrisbarr22

morrisbarr22 New commenter

But after all, the orders don't ship themselves. It's not the most correct to use 2?

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I would agree with the second option. Unless (God forbid) you are ordering a mail order bride, the orders have no agency, therefore cannot be the subject of the verb. Hence the passive construction seems more accurate.

katykook likes this.
  5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Can any usage be "more" correct than another? Either it's correct or incorrect, isn't it?

"Ship" is allowed to be either an intransitive verb as in [1] or transitive verb as in [2] (with the transportation meaning) according to at least one dictionary.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/ship_2

[2] seems more natural to me - I suppose just because I read that construction more often but both sentences are correct.

6. markuss

"But after all, the orders don't ship themselves. It's not the most correct to use 2"

The intransitive use - "orders ship" is similar to "This car sells at £30,000". The car doesn't sell itself but the usage is correct,

7. markuss

Or "These windows clean easily".