1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ordering clothes from a US website

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Aug 13, 2011.

1. When ordering clothes from a US website, I am assuming you have to pay import tax or whatever.
    Can anyone tell me how it works?

2. When ordering clothes from a US website, I am assuming you have to pay import tax or whatever.
    Can anyone tell me how it works?

3. Possibly - as far as I can tell it is a bit ad hoc. I paid nothing for some US eBay purchases but a friend who bought near Christmas was stung for quite a bit!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I have had both such experiences.
    I believe if you can persuade the seller to declare what they're sending is a 'gift', you won't get done for duty.

5. ...although most US sellers don't take kindly to that, from reading the blurb on US sellers' Ebay and Etsy pages. But yes, there's a box for 'gift' and if they tick that, you don't have to pay customs fees.
    Some things from the US can take FOREVER to arrive - if you do buy from the US, ask for Track and Trace postage so you can keep track of your parcel.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If you're buying it from a retailer the packaging will probably mark it out as not a gift and so more likely to be spotted for duty. If the duty isn't much, i.e. the item/s were below about $50 you may get away with it as they can't be bothered to deal with it. Above $50 and if it looks like it's from a retailer then expect to get stung for more tax than you anticipate - you can probably find out online.
    Having said this, some big retailers send stuff from Europe, I've bought things from Amazon.com to have them arrive from Germany with no tax due and a friend said a similar thing about another retailer though I forget who.
    I'd expect to have to pay tax and then hope you don't have to which is a possibility.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Most of the time you don't get clobbered for tax. I used to import collectables from the USA for resale and I only rarely had to pay tax. Middlemarch's point about getting the seller to tick the 'Gift' box on the customs form is a good one. Air Mail from the USA is usually prompt - it's surface mail that takes forever.