1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Order of KS3 Science Teaching

Discussion in 'Science' started by Sci-Guy, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sci-Guy

Sci-Guy New commenter

Why cells?

Of all the starting points that we could choose for our new secondary school students, it always seems to be cells.
    Of course, there are many schools that implement a project type 'Working Scientifically' topic to ease students into the big world of Secondary Science, but thinking about hardcore content and concepts, every school I've been at (and every Y7 SOW I've seen) has always started with Cells.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against cells - I'm a biologist (or so says my PGCE)
    But surely particles would be a better starting point no?
    Maybe even move on to elements and compounds before cells?!
    Both of these will help to explain concepts like diffusion and respiration when it comes to it in the biology topics.

If anyone has any other experiences of a KS3 Science teaching order, other than the standard text book format, I would love to hear about it. What order do you think is easiest for students to follow. Is atomic structure too hard for KS3 students to follow, or a fundamental base for building other concepts upon like static electricity and light?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've never known a school start with anything other than a bunsen burner......

but after that, there is no "starting point". I've listened to the great and the good expounding at length about what order concepts should be taught in, completely ignoring that to teach every year 7 class the same topic at the same time would mean 4x the equipment and resources, and 4x the storage space....

We teach topics in rotation, as I suspect do at least 3/4 of schools, if not more

zuba102 likes this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Most of our Yr 7 classes have two teachers. One teacher starts with cells, the other with lab safety and particles

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Consider what topics require the greatest intellectual maturity, the ability to form and manipulate abstract concepts. Study them as late as you can. Piaget!

5. Goodmousegerald

Goodmousegerald New commenter

We have been using the AQA Big ideas to make schemes of work. Seems to be going well but like said above we have to start on a rotation due to practical limitations so we have a Physics, Biology and Chemistry thread, but which thread you start on changes