1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Orange pasta

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by saxo07, Jul 25, 2012.

1. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

Hi all
    I recently bought some orange flavoured pasta and now have no idea what to do with it! I want to use it as a dessert but am having trouble finding recipies (most of them tell you how to make the pasta itself rather than what sauce to put with it etc.).
    Does anyone have any ideas?

2. ???
    I can only think that it is a 'pure' pasta - cook, add pepper and oil and eat!
    Cookeatshare suggest a prawn recipe, including how to make the pasta link

I'd imagine seafood or chicken with a light citrus sauce would be OK.

And what about a slightly sideways take on a North African dish of nuts, hiney and pasta for dessert? link

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Look up recipes for an Indian dish called vemicelli. This is a kind of sweet pasta with milk, toasted almonds and sultanas. Sorry, I don't have a recipe but it is yummy.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

5. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I had a noodle dish in Hungary once that was sweet. Basically some heavyish pasta with butter and poppy seeds sweetened with a little honey. Not bad at all although it was supposedly a main dish rather than a dessert so a little strange.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I think I recall a Calabrese friend in Bologna boiling pasta in milk and then dusting it with icing sugar ---- but I may be making it up: a number of those evenings are a blurred distant memory.

7. I don't think you were dreaming, as this is a dish we often do in Germany (I guess due to the many Italien Gastarbeiter who ended up staying here!).
    "Süße Nudeln" as we call them are fairly standard here...
    I use a litre of milk to 500g of pasta. About 50g of sugar. Cook on slow heat until the pasta has soaked up the milk (you MUST use a low heat, otherwise the milk just boils away and the pasta stays hard). I usually sprinkle on some vanilla or cinnamon, but not sure I would use cinnaman with orange pasta - vanilla might work well, though.

8. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

Thanks for all the suggestions [​IMG]
    I'm going to give CQ's suggestion a shot. I'll let you know how it goes!

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Like an old-fashioned macaroni pudding, with a citrus flavour?