1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

oral storytelling - Pie Corbett

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missh27, Jan 25, 2012.

1. hello i wondered if anyone could help me/give advice

i am new to early years and we invest a lot of time in oral storytelling

has anyone done the squeaky story? ( i teach nursery)
    Now my children can tell the story with me, where can I go next?
    Miss H

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Use it to write a class version of the story with an adult recording it (either writing, video or audio )

3. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

have they drawn their own story maps- they wont look anything like an adult one to begin with but they can still have a go, telling the story in smaller groups, change the characters or setting to innovate your own class story then build up to completely inventing their own class story.
    I love the squeaky story.
    We keep a class story telling book and the children take it in turns to tell me a story (usually just a few children a week) which I record in the book. sometimes its makes no sense but it is their story and it still goes in the book.
    puppets/masks of characters for role-play (could make own), walk along story map on old wallpaper roll for small group retelling?

4. Is it just me that thinks this approach takes away a teachers and the childrens natural creativity? I just feel this approach is being bought into very prescriptively. I dont have a lot of experience of the approach I have to admit...I have seen a few classes using & retelling & the chn seem to quite like the activity of actions associated with the story telling but I wonder if further down the line it does improve the quality of stories/motivation to write?
    PLEASE dont take this as a criticism it is a serious question so I can learn more & maybe we can debate.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

This is the initial teaching part - learning the structure and the process. The creative part comes later when the children create their own totally new stories

6. sadika

sadika New commenter

Probably ...!

7. What is the squeaky story

8. I dont think so!! Another poster said the initial teaching part was prescriptive (my words not theirs) but that the creativity comes later. I think even the creative part is prescriptive because the teaching of 'creativity' begins by changing one aspect...then two aspects... I think. It seems all too contrived to me. Prepared to be shot down in flames!!

9. sadika

sadika New commenter

I can't agree that anything "prescriptive" is by definition "wrong". Teach them the tools so they can then blossom and use their creativity ... not everybody is automatically creative and therefore they need guidance at least initially to get them going ... IMO!

10. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I find that the children in my class make uo and act out their own stories because they have been taught how to make up a story, We have seen a huge increase in our year on year fsp scores since taking on the family storytelling project. Their oral literacy has greatly improved with children actually using words such as suddenly, at that moment, first, next and finally, so etc in their everyday speech. They did not do this before. I have children who at 4 can invent and record their own stories (pictures, dictaphone).
    I know for a fact that Pie had no intention for this to become a prescriptive way of teaching the idea is to model the storytelling, but then to let the children run with it, develop it, change it, invent their own. It is not a one size fits all, you should adapt it to suit your needs as a teacher and the needs of your class.
    It is no different really to reading a big book or a story everyday- they are simply overlearning a story, familiarising themselves with story structure, language, playing about with character and setting. then using these skills in their own imaginative ways.
    That said most of our children come in with little or no nursery experience and need teaching how to play imaginative games, they are mainly children with EAL, some have limited access to story books and being told stories, so for them they need to be taught all these things.
    works for us, might not work for you.

11. No! I am a children's storyteller and have a lot of issues with the approach. Don't get me wrong, I love that stories are being promoted so much but time and again I work in schools and have been told merrily about teachers highly prescriptive approachs to storytelling / chanting and making and I worry about the many other aspects of stories being lost.
    There is so much more to stories than structure and sequencing, PSED related ideas primarily but many more. It's a fantastic way to connect with the children and find out their ideas, I learn so much from children making and telling stories with them even when i only spend an hour or two with them in a school and being 'off script' helps that. I'm glad you raised this and wish there was more debate on this.

12. I always wonder what people mean when they say this. What, exactly, do you learn from the children? Do you mean that you enjoy the interaction and gain pleasure, or do you genuinely come away thinking that you have learned a new fact or skill?
    I know that sometimes (rarely) a child will tell me something that I didn't previously know. Mostly this is to do with football or sport, which is not one of my areas of interest.