1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oral / mental starters for Year 1 numeracy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Joanna93f, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I am starting my NQT year in September, teaching a Year 1 class and I know that one of my weaknesses is interesting / effective mental/ oral starters for numeracy. I jsut wondered if anyone has any ideas they could give me so that I can put together a 'portfollio' of ideas ready for septemeber? I'm sure it may seem like I have too much time on my hands to be worrying about this but I feel it's a priority for me! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. I am starting my NQT year in September, teaching a Year 1 class and I know that one of my weaknesses is interesting / effective mental/ oral starters for numeracy. I jsut wondered if anyone has any ideas they could give me so that I can put together a 'portfollio' of ideas ready for septemeber? I'm sure it may seem like I have too much time on my hands to be worrying about this but I feel it's a priority for me! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

Bingo on small white boards to meet any LO eg. questions of tens and ones, 1 more / less, number recognition.

Number bonds to 10 "I say 3", "We say 7"

Roll a ball to a child say 4 they say 6 (number bonds to 10 again).

Sorry mind gone blank - hotlisted this thread to as I want to get some new ideas!

4. Little pots of play-dough from Early Learning Centre, one for each child, use to make shapes and describe to a partner. Use to make 'sausages' and compare lengths, or estimate 'longer than your pencil' etc. My current Year 2's loved these activities and I plan to use them with Year 1 next year!

5. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I like the play dough idea!

6. Number fans and 2-d shape fans are always a winner as they keep the children thinking and working at every stage of the mental/oral starter.