1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

options ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by CatToastDeviceCircularLogic, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Two question here, firstly,
    Is it right to offer such a wide range of options to young
    people for KS4? My school and many others, offer pupils the full option of what
    ever + core math English and science. Is this really best for pupils and
    schools. Shouldn't they be encouraged to choice a varied education? Choices from
    categories of subjects, Arts, Technology, languages etc.

Secondary
    Do your year pupils understand 5 A*- C including math and English
    equals level 2?

2. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

The problem with choosing subjects in categories is that some students might have a good reason for picking two subjects from the same category - two foreign languages for example - which is usually not possible in schools which use this type of option system.
    I think the real issue is about the type of advice that students get about subject choices - and since the Dept for Education and the Grammar School Heads' Assoc. (to take two fairly high profile organisations) can't even reach a consensus on this, (see p. 4 of link )http://gsha1.web.officelive.com/Documents/GSHA%20Newsletter%20January%202011.pdf
    it is difficult to know exactly what line individual schools, teachers and parents should take. There is a problem with the system of 'marketing' option subjects to students so that they are influenced by those with the glossiest presentations or by teachers with the best patter rather than taking informed decisions based on what universites and employers are looking for.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Level 2 of what?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The nationally recognised (for 10years +) scale of grading qualifications
    Level 1 <GCSE grade C
    Level 2 GCSE A*-C
    Level 3 A level
    Level 4 Degree
    Level 5 Post grad.
    Lots of holes in it, but we've been using this scale for ages.

P

5. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

It may be 'nationally recognised' but I guarantee it is not 'nationally known' - in the last few years I've worked in state & independent schools up to & including SLT level and no-one has ever mentioned it! Possibly because these schools have all been high achieving ones where most, if not all, students go on to University....

Mind you nice to know I'm a Level 5 kind of a person[​IMG] I always suspected it...

6. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

I think it may be better known than you seem to think AdmiralNelson: the majority of applied and vocational courses for example are available at Level 1, Level 2 etc. In addition, RaiseOnline and FFT Live refer constantly to L2EM. I am surprised that someone who has been in SLT in a state school in the last few years has no idea what it is.

7. your spot on there, lots of subject are also stating things that are very odd.

Yeah the advice they get is random and I find many pupils don't really understand their choices.

8. My Y9 son is just choosing his options maths, English, triple science, two languages or 1 language and media studies, two from humanities (RE, history, geography) and two from arts (PE, music, art, DT). Who needs 12 GCSEs? Luckily he is able pupil but this is the 'diet' offered to all, I think that it is too much. 1 from each group would be sufficient.
    Onto your second question why does it matter that they know its level 2 or not?

9. IMO the real issue is whether the advice received is of a quality that enables students and their parents to make informed decisions. And I am sorry, but I do not believe that is the case.
    Whether or not they are level 2 equivalent or not is irrelevant if they are not recognised by universities or understood/valued by employers..........

10. Surely schools don't offer qualifications that are not recognised? I stuck with advising my son to do GCSE but his school only offer that, what other choices should I have considered or ignored?