1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Options for leaving education

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shepherda05, Aug 16, 2019.

1. shepherda05

shepherda05 New commenter

I'm seeking advice, I've been in primary teaching for 8 years, six of those in management and coaching roles, my degree is also primary education. As much as I love my job I'm finding I keep coming back to wanting to try something else, something different. But I'm met with nothing but disappointment, no one can see that my skills are transferable. I'm at that difficult point where I have to be on a certain wage to cover my mortgage so cannot take a massive hit on my pay.
    Does anyone have any advice of what options are out there? TIA

pepper5 likes this.
  2. menhir

menhir New commenter

Didn't just want to read and go. Have you tried the Civil Service as an option as they have lots of departments and areas of work that may interest you.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

When you write about your transferable skills - I wonder if you are selling these in the right way and in a context that meets the person job specification you are applying for. As a successful teacher you are the following.
    • Highly organised
    • Excellent multi-tasker
    • Brilliant communicator
    • Works well in a team
    • Used to working independently
    • Always stays up to date with relevant skills and knowledge
    • Great time management skills for short, medium and long term tasks
    • Able to plan in detail
    • Thinks on ones feet and good in a crises
    • Able to show initiative
    • Supportive of others
    • Can analyse and respond to relevant data
    • Dedicated and very hard working
    The list goes on and on

You have to be all these things in teaching and so much more - Remember in any application to sell your skills as what you can do for them not what you have done in teaching.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Just as HolyMahogany says. You've got a huge amount of transferable skills and you need to sell yourself. You've got nothing to lose at any interview for a job because the job isn't yours yet so rather than doing the interview on the defensive trying not to lose the job, go in and tell them (politely) why they'd be daft not to employ you.

Marshall, HolyMahogany and phlogiston like this.
  5. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I really like the transferable skills list.
    I would add:
    • Able to work quickly and make decisions under pressure
    • Efficient note taker
    • Creative under budget constraints
    • Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
    • etc

6. shepherda05

shepherda05 New commenter

Thanks guys, the problem I have is I have emphasised these in my applications but never get a look in. I've even tried a couple of recruitment firms, I've either not heard back or been told I'm not suitable.

DexterDexter and pepper5 like this.
  7. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

It may be worth posting this on some other pages of this forum, e.g. careers. This may draw in more posters, remember lots of people may be on holiday, with a wider range of experience who can give you more detailed advice. Lots of people have successfully left teaching and moved on to other careers and there are posts about this on this site. stick with it, I mean the posts and the job hunting both may take a while.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Have you desire at all to work within the NHS? You might have to take a small decrease in pay, but there are a lot of job opportunities in the NHS besides the ones for clinical staff. If you cut your budget back, you might make it work. Once you get in, you may be able to work your way up and take further training.

Another thing you could do is say take one year to cut back to the bone on your spending if that is possible ( you may already be doing that if you have a mortgage and children), save up a fund of money and take some classes in another field: computer programming, electrician, plumbing. bookeeping, or other fields.

9. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

I got out (ish) but had to take a small pay cut to do so. It is almost impossible to go like from like across fields.

I then went back in and came back out but this time I came out at the same money because I had that experience.

It’s very tricky. I’d love to go into clinical psychology but I can’t afford the pay cut during the training.

One thing I would note is things like ‘good organisational skills’ is a fairly vague thing to put on a CV or application (and has the vague whiff of the personal statement you wrote at 16). Much better to say WHAT you’ve done that shows this. “Arranged residential trip for 30 participants with appropriate risk assessments and budgetting with 100% positive feedback” is much more private-sector talk

pepper5, HolyMahogany and Marshall like this.
  10. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

There are quite a lot of training jobs in the NHS, have a look on NHS.jobs. Some would require you to have worked in that clinical area first but not all. We have a lady who is an ex-teacher who facilitated our recent department away day - the away day was about team building and bonding and nothing to do with our clinical area. I left teaching 12 years ago, trained to be an AHP and now work in the NHS. Fortunately in those days the University fees were paid, I had a partner who could pay the mortgage and I continued to offer private tuition in the evenings as a way of earning something while training. The cost of such a career change today starting with annual tuition fees of £9K to find would prohibit many from considering it, which is a great shame. Mature entrants to the NHS bring all sorts of transferable skills and life experience with them and are valuable members of the team.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I completely understand where you are coming from. Although the skills are definitely transferable, I don't think the rest of the world see this. It's clear that people have no idea about teaching when you hear things like "all those holidays!" and "Oooh! a 9-3 job!"
    I am in a similar place to you, except I am probably 100 years older, so I have that added into the equation as well. I am just ploughing on applying and see what happens! At least you have something for now whilst you search. Good luck

pepper5 likes this.
  12. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Have a look on did teach.com

pepper5 likes this.