1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Options ARGH!

Discussion in 'Music' started by asdmumandteacher, Mar 7, 2012.

1. I know there is another thread abot this but had to rant:

1) Miss..I am taking GCSE music next year....
    Thats great! :)
    Yeah but I'm giving up *insert instrument here* cos I will be too busy with all my GCSEs
    ARGH!

2) Miss...I am not going to do GCSE Music cos I have grade 5 and so I don't need to take it

ARGH!!!!!!

2. Miss - my parents have advised me to take triple science instead of music (the pupil is a great musician and performer by the way). My parents think it will help me study for my pharmacy degree when I'm older.
    'Are they not worrying about your inability to string a sentence together or your severe dyslexia' - one would like to ask ? !!!!!!!
    Miss - I won't be taking music GCSE as I play the flute ! - I'll just pick it up at A level!
    Pupil plays in 4 school bands, sings with 2 choirs, generates her own performing opportunities - I don't think I can take music as my mum thinks I won't enjoy it much!

3. casper

casper New commenter

My Head keeps asking how we can get more pupils taking GCSE music. Errrr. More pupils ikn school are numbers are very low and do not keep introducing more options with less students. Oh and if you saw the state of my building in comparison with others around the school you would realise that students do not look forward to spending time there. Then there is the lack of resources. Maybe that is why?..

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Seems fair enough.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Nice to see you around again, Mr Bronson.

6. Mr Bronson - On a CV a GCSE with a grade A next to it (or A* as is prob likely if the pupil has grade 5) surely has more of an impact than in the hobbies section writing I can play the piano to grade 5 standard. Or actually the pupil could write both in!

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Yes, but if they don't take music, they'll take something else, so they'll probably still have just as many A/A* GCSEs listed, as well as the piano in the hobbies section. That argument will only work if they're likely to do rather worse in whatever they're doing instead.

8. YesMrBronson

...is exactly what I was about to post. Well said frustum.

9. YesMrBronson

Hello.
    I lurk daily even when not posting.

10. Argh don't know how to quote but "That argument will only work if they are not likely to get A/A*s in other subjects" - thats precisely my point. Does being grade 5 piano mean they are going to get really high grades in all their subjects? Why not use a skill you have developed over years to help attain a high grade in a GCSE - and have more time consequently to work on other subjects that come less 'naturally' to obtain higher grades in them rather than discount a subject that you have already put so much time and energy into.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Music seems to be one of the most "time intensive" subjects, whether you have a Grade 5 or not...

12. Its definitely less time intensive if you have grade 5 than if you don't.I disagree as well due to controlled assessment.My pupils spend so much time rehearsing drama or completing geography projects...its all much of a muchness but if you have grade 5 you practically have 30% nailed before the course begins