1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Options after undergraduate degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by le190499, Apr 2, 2019.

1. le190499

le190499 New commenter

Hi!
    I'm currently in my second year of an undergraduate degree in professional musicianship (singing) at BIMM. Been recently thinking about my career options and what I'd like to do after graduation.

I've Been looking into teaching for a while as I'd love to do something rewarding with my qualifications and it's stable. There are a handful of PGCE and QTS courses for primary, a couple for secondary music and FE close to home also. I'm also open to becoming a teaching assistant if any opportunities arise locally.

The main reason I'm posting is to ask for advice about getting into the profession. Am I more likely to be employed after training on a primary PGCE than a secondary music qualification or in the FE sector as it's a vocational subject? Has anybody trained as a teacher after studying music previously? What was your experience with teacher training?

I do also keep worrying about funding and after reading some forums I'd like to know how teachers of different levels handle the workload and work life balance. Other than being in a long term relationship I'd have no other commitments. Would like to regularly see him still.

Thankyou in advance and I do appreciate any advice!!!