1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Optional Tests - Year 9

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by barbygirl, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I work in a small private school and we continue to use the optional tests in Years 7, 8 and 9.
    This year the Year 9 tests only go up to level 7 - can anyone tell me why.

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

Not sure. I think it does save them having to write the level 8 questions (an extra paper etc...)
    I would personally just use a past SATS paper though if you want to test L8 material.

3. Thats disappointing, I teach the top Y9 set and have around half a dozen pupils working towards acheiving L8 at the end of the year.

Also disappointing that the mental tests appear to have been done away with too, given the importance of mental maths.

4. Thanks for replies. I also find it disappointing that there is no mental maths - we place quite an emphasis on this. Also I now have pupils at the start of Year 8 who are a good level 7 - the students are very keen and will be disapointed themselves that with the 2011 tests that they will not be given the opportunity to achieve level 8. I wanted to do the 2011 tests (rather than previous papers) so as to hopefully include the more functional element. I seem to remember that when I started teaching maths the SATs went up to level 10 - certainly higher than 8.

5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You're doing things your own way and won't be interested, but...
    National curriculum levels are meant to be assessed through normal classwork/homework. Tests are irrelevant, really.
    If they achieve level 8 in the work you set them, then they are level 8.
    (SATs are tests for university entrance, by the way. Year 9 children in the U.K.have never taken them. They used to do NCTs - National Curriculum Tests. Is that what you mean?)

6. DM

DM New commenter

Prepare to have your hopes dashed.

7. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

having checked at http://orderline.qcda.gov.uk it doesn't look like it. They have lots of 2009 packs though. You could try giving them a ring and seeing what they have in stock.

I ordered 2 years worth last year so have a spare set but I'm not selling!

8. lmatthews1969

lmatthews1969 New commenter

Don't try to be smart. We have done SAT exams in this country for years at the end of key stages 1, 2 and 3. We all know them by that name. Its a shame you felt you had to put someone else down who was asking a simple question.

9. oh goodie
    a brand new poster who is sniping at a 4 month old post
    what is it about maths?

10. Giggle. now that was ages ago. Grin!