1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OPTIONAL SATS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aljawal2, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Our school uses the Optional SATS for our yearly exams, the problem is that these are available on the internet to download and many of our savvy students access these all year round. When it comes to marking the papers some have an advantage over others because they score well whilst the hardworking students who do not access these papers score fairly. What can be done? We are looking at other exams that our international school can use in the future. Any ideas?

Another problem is that not all teachers mark the writing task proficiently, especially those not familiar with KS2 English writing tasks, and tend to end up under marking. Is moderating the answer or as someone suggested swopping this moderating? This year as in the past, we did swop but for those teachers not familiar with marking writing tasks, students have scored very low marks, so I have asked for a review? I wonder if anyone else has faced these problems this year or in the past.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I would use teacher assessment alongside any tests you do; if you know pupil X struggled with fractions two weeks ago, but can suddenly do them perfectly in the test, you can investigate further. Even more so now the tests do not relate directly to the curriculum we are teaching.

I find moderating writing always helps.

3. summlard

summlard New commenter

We don't complete the old optional sats anymore as they are based on the old curriculum. We used Rising Stars optionals instead (which were quite hard imo).