1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Optional SATs Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oxfordblue, Oct 16, 2008.

1. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone know the timings for the maths and english optional SATs in Year 5? We have an evidence week next week and I have to do optional SATs papers but I don't know how much timeI need! I'm trying to make a timetable now of when everything will fit in.

Thank you

2. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone know the timings for the maths and english optional SATs in Year 5? We have an evidence week next week and I have to do optional SATs papers but I don't know how much timeI need! I'm trying to make a timetable now of when everything will fit in.

Thank you

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Depends which year you are doing.

I know that for the oldest maths one (think it's 98/99?) that it's 45min for the 1st part and 25min for the 2nd part - we don't bother doing the mental that goes with it as it doesn't work into the marks for the level!

4. If you are using the most recent ones then it is 45 mins for a and the same for B, the mental maths is on the tape/CD. The info should all be in your teachers handbook where the mark schemes are.

Reading is 15mins reading time then 45 mins to answer whilst the short writing is 25mins the long is 45 mins and the spelling as long as it takes I think-this is from memeory so I am open to being corrected if someone has the book at home.

5. Just finished Y5 optional SATS 2006 version .... maths seemed ok ... progress as expected .. but reading .... just too much progress. Ten children in my class have made 4 or more sub levels progress ( 7 sub levels for one girl ).
    Now I know they had a bad year last year ... but this can't be right surely ??

Anyone else have such way out results .. or did my kids just take genius pills? Followed timings, instructions ect to the letter .. watched them like a hawk so no cheating going on.
    Normal bunch of kids ... an average spread of results at y2 ... i know because i taught them at y2 as well.
    Is the Y5 reading test too easy .. or the levels wrong ??

6. Bump

Will be doing 2006 reading (and other) tests with my year 5s in May (school policy). What are your views on it? Was the reading test too easy? I am an NQT so not previous experience to go on. So far this year they have done 1998 QCA and 2003 QCA and Kent Reading Tests.

7. Agree with previous posters about the writing - we do an old y6 write instead. The reading though I've always found OK.

8. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

As a previous poster has already said, the Maths seems to be about right. The reading levels come out a bit high, think its the levels rather than the test. We do three tests per year, the old alien one is the one we do second and the levels always drop for that one, then go up again for the Changes test. Not good data tracking wise! Think the alien one is just too much reading!

9. ????????????????????