1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Optional SATs - TA's not allowed to mark papers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, May 23, 2011.

1. So we are doing an assessment week and my pupils (y5) are doing optional SATs
    This morning my class did a maths test, which i got my TA to mark throughout the day when she had chance.

During assembly she was marking the tests, and the headteacher walked past and said that my TA should not be marking the tests, only I should be doing them.

Does anyone's else school do this, as when I was a TA (only for 12 months) we were allowed to mark maths SATs

Miss H

2. So we are doing an assessment week and my pupils (y5) are doing optional SATs
    This morning my class did a maths test, which i got my TA to mark throughout the day when she had chance.

During assembly she was marking the tests, and the headteacher walked past and said that my TA should not be marking the tests, only I should be doing them.

Does anyone's else school do this, as when I was a TA (only for 12 months) we were allowed to mark maths SATs

Miss H

3. I'm a trainee but at my placement school they have done the optional SATs and the teacher let the TA mark the maths ones but they said they needed to mark the writing test. I don't see why the TA would not be allowed to mark the maths papers. I saw the TA with a mark scheme and they're not difficult to mark.

4. Forgot to say, my class is also year 5 in case you wanted to know.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Crikey, my SON marks the maths papers for me!
    I do mark the rest myself tho!

6. Yeah i understand that i shouldmark the english ones

But i don't see the problem in my TA marking maths ones, guess I'll get the family involved to help me at home

headteacher can't tell me not to do that haha

7. Some headteachers are seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously weird man!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It was perhaps a bit indiscreet for the TA to be marking in assembly. Have you asked the other teachers if they use TAs to help at all?
    If you can't use TA for the optinal tests, is there some of your other marking you could give them instead?
    As to using the family, I've sat at the table with OH and got him to mark half the papers for me whilst I do the other half. D-i-L has also done all the entering of data onto the computer for me too.
    Use every bit of help you can!

9. I took that to mean she was marking in Assembly TIME... not actually in Assembly itself..........??? That would be VERY random!!

10. yes, she was in my classroom whilst me and my class were in assembly.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Perhaps I'm wrong - whoops!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Goodness me! I clearly need a new Other Half! Mine would poke his eyes out with hot matches before he did any of my marking!

But, for optional papers, my class mark each other's mental maths and spelling. A TA (not mine, I don't have such luxuries!) marks the maths papers and, if they like you, the reading papers. Then the teacher marks the writing.

Or that is the theory. Often I end up marking all but mental maths and spelling (not sure I've actually sat and marked either in my life!) but hey ho!

One of the few benefits of being a year 6 teacher is no end of year test marking at all!

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

TA's have always helped to mark in my school... Although in my experience is that you pick and choose which TA's you ask, as in the past, mine have been made a real mess of and i've had to go back and do it again!

14. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

Our TAs aren't allowed to mark ours either :( we have to mark writing, reading, spellings, mental maths, maths for 30 kids in about a week! boo

15. Mine has done it before and has done a great job of my maths papers today
    I;ve IEPs to write this week ,reports due for proofreading in a few weeks and assessments to mark. So i thought i'd make my life easier by having my TA mark the maths papers.
    Obviously not

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nonsense, get her to do it again, but just be more discreet about it!

Or get her to review IEPS.

17. Jun

Jun New commenter

Could it be your head wants the teacher to mark so they pick up on any common errors etc? I find it quite useful when I've marked them before. Of course they could also just be being awkward!? [​IMG]

18. I am an experienced TA (in year 6) I have often marked both maths and reading papers, our HT has absolutely no problem with this. I have also, when required, kept a note of common errors which crop up and fed these back to my class teacher. Also, I sometimes sit with my CT whilst she marks the writing, as she finds it helpful to talk her scoring through. This has been mutually beneficial as I am now much more aware of the levels children are working at and what they need to work on.
    As long as you are confident in your TA's abilities it can be a godsend to get us marking whilst you get on with all your other tasks !