1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Optional SATS English Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by galanidt, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Am hoping to do my English Optional SATS for Yr 5 next week. I haven't done these before. I am trying to find out how long the various parts of the test are Any help would be great as I want to do the first one on Monday. Thanks! Tx
  2. Reading - 15min reading the booklet and 45 min to respond

Writing - longer task 40 min and shorter task 25 min

Spelling - 10-15 min approx
  3. you have the teacher's book? If not how will you mark them?
  4. Thanks guys. I think we have the teacher's book in school - if not I'll find out from the Enhlish coordinator!
  5. PS I assume it does not matter what order these are done in?
    Thanks Tx
  6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Reading should come first I think.
  7. Ohhh, given that the reading test requires a full hour does it matter if I do a different test first? Thanks. Tx
  8. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

I think the idea is that the reading test sets the theme for the writing so it helps to have done the reading first.
  9. Although some of the optional SATs have a linked theme for the reading and writing tests, the most recent Year 5 one does not. Therefore, you should be able to do them in any order and in fact I'm doing my writing tests before the reading one.

The reading one is about carnivals and dragon flies and the writing tests are: a letter to the head teacher about the playground (long test) and descriptions about 2 pictures which are given (short).

You need the yellow teacher's book which details how to introduce the test, what you're allowed to say/not say and the mark scheme. Good luck!
  10. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

The theme for the reading is changes/transformation - how the nymph changes into a dragonfly and how the carnival transforms the town, people etc into something different for the duration of it.

The writing is how the park changes from winter to summer and making changes to the school playground. The links are there, however tenuous they appear to be.

Don't know if it would make much difference to the outcome if you did the writing before, however, but it is a recommendation.
  11. Thanks for all of the help :)