1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

option evening

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by gunsnroses, Jan 25, 2011.

1. We have been asked to produce interactive and fun activities for year 9 options evening, (even though RE is not offered as an option). Has anyone any ideas please?

2. We have been asked to produce interactive and fun activities for year 9 options evening, (even though RE is not offered as an option). Has anyone any ideas please?

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I am also doing the options evening even though we are compulsory. Could you maybe do a card sort or something with thinking hats? Like have a topic and make some paper hats from different colour papers and get them thinking?

What exam board do you use?

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I had to check in the staffroom we weren't being this interactive in our options evening. Thankfully all I need is some posters.
    I can't get onto the OCR website for some reason but presumably it is along the lines of philosophy and ethics?
    All I can think of is the thinking hats thing (if you haven't used it/don't know about it I am happy to explain). Get a story on an ethical issue you would cover i.e. case study on euthanasia. You have different coloured hats. When a kid wanders over they pick a hat colour and you ask them about the story using their hat question.

5. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

What about a prayer wall? Get them to think of one wish they would like to have for the world and put on a post it or decorated card and place on your wall in addition to giving their parents the important information!

6. I've never done one before, i'm just about to start training but i'd like to offer a suggestion.

Would it be possible to transform a classroom into a makeshift place of worship? For example, creating a hindu temple (some nice lights, statues, etc etc) or a Synagogue (Some Torah Scrolls, Star of David etc etc) and then do a scavenger hunt? Maybe some cryptic clues about what they need to find? If you have more than one classroom available you could have the one dedicated to this sort of thing and another with class work from GCSE class etc.

It's fun, a bit different and a chance to see a different kind of worship environment.

:)

7. Post-its that they write as they come in
    Questions you would ask God/The person who knows everything...
    As well as all the usual promotional bumf.

If you have youtube in school this RE teacher has put up some great videos promoting GCSE RE (some are more generic than others)

8. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I wonder if any readers will remember the RE teacher on maternity cover in a school about ten years ago who dyed her hair for the Options Assembly.

The occasion remains one of the funniest and at the same time one of the most painful memories of my career.

I had a wonderful inspiration to use the lyrics of popular songs - many in the charts at the time - as an introduction to the different issues we would be studying in RE GCSE as a way of enabling my students to connect with RE. I chose some brilliant songs (with the help of teenage friends, musician friends and other teacher friends) and spent weeks collecting the music and recording snippets of the songs to play in a special assembly. It began with a song about the birth of a child, went through all the issues we covered on the RE and ethics syllabus and concluded with the final 'piece de resistance' which was a song about death - Seasons in the Sun.'

After a colleague had introduced the songs and played them on the tape recorder, he would introduce a 'visiting celebrity pop star' who was 'visiting the school as a special treat' to sing the final song. Then I would come in dressed in a purple velvet mini skirt and fishnet stockings - and wearing a blond curly wig. I happen to be quite a serious singer and this was an opportunity to share this hobby and skill with my students. As it was a maternity cover and not an easy school to teach in, this demanded quite a lot of courage on my part - but I believed it was an important cause and was up for the challenge.

The Assembly was on Wednesday but thiings started to go wrong on the Monday - when the colleague who was going to bring me her 'girlie' blond wig to borrow was off sick.

On the Tuesday I was out on an Inset day in another part of the county. As soon as it ended I headed for the local town and tried desperately to find a suitable wig - which was within my budget. The whole assembly hinged around the surprise of my singing the final song - which included a final verse I had composed which related to RE options - and my outfit demanded a totally different hairstyle. It couldn't work with my own longish greying hair.

As the shops were closing and I had not found anything suitable I found a friendly hairdresser which was open late and asked if they could make my hair into blond curls which would wash out. They said no. That would not be possible. But they did have some 'fun colours' which wash out. They looked fantastic and we decided that blue would best compliment the purple outfit.

I set out for work next morning early, wearing a scarf around my hair, my heart racing and my mouth dry with 'stage-fright.'

I will leave the details of that day to your imagination - but the big problem came that evening when I discovered that the dye had not read the instructions on the packet. It did not wash out.

Just in case some of you like singing and are inspired to try this formula with a wig (do not use fun hair dye unless you want to be having nightmares about the incident for the rest of your life) I am copying the song here. I don't have the lyrics I actually used but have invented a substitute verse and chorus which would do. Perhaps you can set a competition on your options day with the words of lots of suitable pop songs which relate to ethical issues and asking the students to create a verse which links them to the RE syllabus.

9. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

?Seasons in the Sun?

Goodbye to you, my trusted friend.
    We've known each other since we're nine or ten.
    Together we climbed hills or trees.
    Learned of love and ABC's,
    skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.

Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die,
    when all the birds are singing in the sky,
    Now that the spring is in the air.
    Pretty girls are everywhere.
    When you see them I'll be there.

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
    But the hills that we climbed
    were just seasons out of time.

Goodbye, Papa, please pray for me,
    I was the black sheep of the family.
    You tried to teach me right from wrong.
    Too much wine and too much song,
    wonder how I get along.

Goodbye, Papa, it's hard to die
    when all the birds are singing in the sky,
    Little children everywhere.
    When you see them I'll be there.

But the wine and the song,
    like the seasons, all have gone.

Goodbye, Michelle, my little one.
    You gave me love and helped me find the sun.
    And every time that I was down
    you would
    always come around
    and get my feet back on the ground.

Goodbye, Michelle, it's hard to die
    when all the bird are singing in the sky,
    With the flowers ev'rywhere.
    I whish that we could both be there.

But the stars we could reach
    were just starfishs on the beach

Well now year 9 it seems to me
    The only option is to take RE
    Endless issues to explore,
    Asking questions: ?What?s life for??
    Always leaves you wanting more.

You?ll have joy, you?ll have fun, you?ll have visits in the sun
    From other religions insights gain,
    Your own views you can explain.

10. Pass them koans typed out on brightly-coloured paper. As you pass them, grin from ear-to-ear and ask them if they could solve them. A favourite of mine, because it makes me smile, is:

One day Chao-chou fell down in the snow, and called out, "Help me up! Help me up!" A monk came and lay down beside him. Chao-chou got up and went away.