1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opposition to reopening schools is 'middle class' and harms disadvantaged children who miss school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, May 15, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Heard this chap on R5 this am - wasn't impressed; he thinks having a 'Risk Assessment' means his schools will all be safe! Pretty horrified by some of his claims too, e.g.

"He said: 'The greatest risks for many of our children are being stuck in a council block, with no fresh air, no exercise, little or no nutritious food.'"

Of course exercise has always been allowed, and is now unlimited.

And

"The Oasis boss suggested many pupils would also be at a disadvantage from missing lessons because many of them 'live in cramped conditions with little digital access' making it difficult for them to learn effectively online".

Which makes me wonder what their parents are spending their child benefit (& other income) on, if not 'food' or suitable internet access...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-middle-class-harms-disadvantaged-pupils.html

So, are these good enough reasons to put teachers & others who work at school at risk?

ms honey, Sally006 and BetterNow like this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

There probably ARE thousands of disadvantaged kids who are heaving a hellish time right now.
    It's sh*t. I can't answer your question though. If I was living in England, I'd not be sending my kid into school, whatever Boris was saying. But then, I'm one of the lucky ones. Nice house, garden, spouse, money coming in, etc.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Most secondary schools I know are accommodating children who are vulnerable or at risk if left at home along with key worker staff, no reason to discontinue that. If its such an issue why not put the vulnerable ones in care/like evacuees find a locked down safe environment for them, after all if parents aren't safe they should be removed no? It's social services not schools that need to intervene. Once again schools are being used to babysit not simply educate... that's a no from me then. o_O

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Cigarettes and flat-screen TVs is the normal mantra.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I really hate it when people moan about the fecklessness of the poor. But that's another thread, I suppose.

nick909, LiamD, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  6. WB

WB Senior commenter

I saw him on TV today.

Might be wrong, but he seemed overly keen to show off his social justice credentials.

He isn't a class teacher though. I would have repected him if he had offered to work in class as a TA.

Living proof that the more remote you are from a problem the more noble you can pretend to be.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I would love to see some of the 'experts' organising the reorganisation of Reception and Years1 +6. Initially I expect it will be like herding cats and knitting fog. PLEASE someone organise and them film the results. :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

u
    In my experience fecklessness has little to do with poverty. It's just a bit more obvious.

9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I find it insulting to disadvantage families just because you are poor doesn't mean you don't do your best for your kids. Often it is these families who spend time with their kids to make sure they do their reading and homework. There are plenty of middle class families who spend little time with their children and these children can be just as deprived.

10. needabreak

But you liked this...
    I'm confused, you too?

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

He has also made clear that for any children or staff who do not feel comfortable about returning to school - that's fine.

Although I am definitely NOT an academy fan, I do have a lot of time for Steve Chalke. He's a Baptist minister, he's set up a charitable trust which works to stop trafficking & homelessness, as well as the Oasis academy chain with academies largely in deprived areas (the first ones were in Enfield, Grimsby & Immingham). In the murky world of MATs, he's one of those in it for the right reasons.

He's also a former UN Special Adviser on trafficking.

Given the caveat that neither staff nor pupils need return to school if they don't feel safe, then I can see where he is coming from. His attitude is consistent with his passion for social justice.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@needabreak - I assumed @LondonCanary was being wry. He was talking about the usual mantra of people who go on about the feckless unemployed. Think of Phillip Schofield having a go at that woman on benefits who bought Prosecco.

Can't believe I had to explain that, but that's life. No - I'm far from confused.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Double post deleted.

14. WB

WB Senior commenter

Given this I may have judged him too harshly.

Jonntyboy and chelsea2 like this.
  15. needabreak

The academy Head I saw speaking today on the news said similar things, I'm sure his heart is in the right place but it does come across as condescending... I've said this before... people in authority (often the middle classes or those purporting to represent lower income families) including some teachers feel the need to "look after" or dictate poorer peoples behaviour because it doesn't always emulate their own... it is certainly interesting to see this repeated over and over and over.. often to no avail....cant think why.

Stiltskin, agathamorse and Bungie like this.
  16. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

Apart from it being unsafe for teachers and students to be going back to school before cases of infection have reduced, there is also the psychological damage this is inflicting on all of us but particularly the kids. Apart from having missed weeks of education and the stresses involved with that aspect of their study, there will be very many who are frightened of catching the virus, not only for their own sake, but because they might then pass it on to vulnerable members of their family. One thing for sure is that there will be a lot of psychologically damage kids out there and re-opening schools too early is only going to make things worse. I doubt many will return anyway. Too dangerous at the moment.

17. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Yes, Oasis was around for many years before becoming the academy sponsor, and whilst I agree about the suspicions around academies, they have stuck to their focus of building up education and life opportunities for young people where perhaps historically it has been a struggle. Steve Chalke was hugely outspoken about the TV programme Benefit Street a few years ago, saying it was basically trying to recreate the Victorian freak show. I think many of the children in that postcode attend an Oasis academy.

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There are a lot of these utter idiots around at the moment. It gives them a voice and the press love this sort of thing.

He's just a tool. Not particularly smart but has a platform for his ignorance thanks to his position. I can guarantee that he will not have considered that opening schools aids transmission within the very communities he wants to help. All of these macho "open up" types view it from the angle that teachers are scared of getting infected, and have little nuance past that.

As an aside, I work primarily with pupils that are disadvantaged and at risk of exclusion. Very few people, bar teachers and associated professionals, has bothered much about these pupils in all the years I've been in schools. They've been ignored or viewed as a negative impact on results in many schools, notably in the chains run by a few of the more vociferous "we must open" types.

I'm not fooled by it.

19. needabreak

Sorry I don't follow celeb news so would have no idea what Phillip Schofield said about anyone. I'm pleased you aren't confused, clearly I was since I had no idea LC was being wry either... I should have read to the end of the sentence.

20. needabreak

Sorry that did make me laugh.

Scintillant likes this.