1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oppose chlorine washed chicken and hormone fed beef.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Oct 21, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Hi All
    I don't know who here may subscribe to 38 Degrees, but I am passing on this request from them to sign a petition to ask our MPs not to reduce our food standards to those of the USA in the scramble to find alternative trade links to Europe. I think it is probably one of the most important drop outs from Brexit. Hope you agree and sign the petition.

The petition can be found at:
    https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/c...017_mopup&bucket=email-blast-18_10_2017_mopup

Cheers.

As follows --
    Dear *****

Chlorine-washed chicken and beef fed with hormones could be heading to our fridges. As you read this, the government is working out their plans for trade deals after Brexit, and one thing on the menu is lower food safety standards.[1] There is a serious risk that the government could be pressured into lowering food standards in order to get a deal with countries like the USA. [2]

Right now a powerful committee of MPs are looking at how trade deals could impact our food safety after Brexit, but the deadline to feed in is this week. [3] Experts, lobbyists and politicians are having their say. But what’s missing is our voice.

If we can build a huge petition, we can make sure trade deals don’t have a negative impact on the quality, safety and price of our weekly shop. We’ll hand the petition straight to this group of MPs and make sure they can’t ignore our voices.

Will you add your name to the petition to make sure chemicals currently banned in Britain don’t make their way onto our plates? It’ll be handed in on Friday, so we don’t have much time:

Since the UK voted to leave the EU, thousands of 38 Degrees members have come together to decide what new trade deals should look like. [4] Whether you voted leave or remain, 38 Degrees-ers want to make sure Brexit works for all of us. We all agree on protecting our consumer rights, making sure our food is good quality and the price of our weekly shop doesn’t go up.

Trade deals can seem a bit abstract, but there isn’t anything as real as the food you eat or your weekly shopping bill. Government committees like this one are used to hearing from experts and lobbyists, so imagine how they'll feel when the signatures of tens of thousands of ordinary people land on their desk. If we can build a huge petition, it’ll drown out big business and their lobbyists.

Will you add your name to the petition to make sure the safety of our food isn’t at risk after Brexit?

Thanks for all that you do,

Aiyan, Gordon, Bex, Nick and the 38 Degrees Team

NOTES:
    [1] The Telegraph: Concerns over chlorine-washed chicken could delay US trade deal, says Michael Gove:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ashed-chicken-could-delay-us-trade-deal-says/
    The Guardian: Media is 'obsessed' with chlorine washed chicken says Liam Fox:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-ruled-out-by-no-10-in-pursuit-of-trade-deals
    [2] See note [1]
    [3] UK Parliament: Brexit: Trade In Food Enquiry:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ries/parliament-2017/brexit-trade-food-17-19/
    [4] 38 Degrees: 38 Degrees members response to the UK-US trade relations inquiry:
    https://home.38degrees.org.uk/2017/02/28/38-degrees-members-response-uk-us-trade-relations-inquiry/

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Just don't buy it! It's hardly rocket science, just like not buying ritually slaughtered meat. :rolleyes:

wanet, nomad, lexus300 and 1 other person like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

We used to be able to buy many adulterated products, but over the last 150 years standards ave been improved. We really shouldn't be turning the clock back!

NB Petition signed!

TCSC47 and knitone like this.
  4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

I'm ok with chlorine washed chicken. It's no worse than campylobacter laden chicken.

phlogiston and wanet like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Agreed, as long as it is labelled properly then people can choose. I avoid buying certain products on ethical, environmental or political grounds.

TCSC47 and Didactylos4 like this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

What exactly are the KNOWN and PROVEN hazards of such foodstuffs?

Whilst I have both political and ethical problems with their import into this country and prefer to be able to choose I do wonder about the points above

nomad likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A lot of meat is ritually slaughtered and not marked as such. The only way to be sure is not to eat meat.

My problem with the chlorine washing is that it's necessary becuase of the terrible condition chickens are kept in. When I look at my girls having a lovely life pecking round the garden and feasting on bugs and grapes and dandelions it's almost unbearable to think of the awful life many chickens have. They are covered in bacteria because they're kept in overcrowded conditions. The worse the conditions, the dirtier they are, hence the need for chlorine washing if the meat is not to be downright dangerous. Our chickenkeeping in this country is far from perfect but it's improving, and the incidence of infection is generally going down. To reverse the improvements and just washoff the filth would be a huge backwards step.

The same goes for the hormone/antibiotic fed beef. We would be wise to eat much less meat and for it to be raised on grass with as few supplements as possible. This takes a lot longer and is more expensive, but we don't need to eat so much meat. Lots of land in the Uk is suitable for raising cattle this way but not so good for arable crops.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It seems to be becoming more prevalent too with some seeing eating such meat as somehow a good thing. We aught to be outlawing such practises rather than giving in to superstitious beliefs.

Chlorinated chicken meat is more about animal welfare than catching disease from the meat - although it makes presenting older meat as fresh far more easy to do for the crooks.

However you see it, it is another step backwards.

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. Didactylos4

From the first link
    "The EU ban is more precautionary than evidence-based."

The second link deals primarily with the hazards of other rearing processes and whilst they are ones I have concerns about, they do not specifically answer the question I asked.

I do not believe we should lower our food standards for any reason nor do I believe that any sane UK govt would risk doing so

TCSC47 and lexus300 like this.
  11. FrankWolley

Liam Fox seems prepared to do so:

http://news.sky.com/story/liam-fox-open-to-importing-us-chlorinated-chicken-10959270

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The voice of common sense.

nomad likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

No, the voice of an ideology opposed to raising standards...

14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The UK would back out of any trade deal that required it to accept lower standards, such as allowing imports of chlorinated chicken from the US, the environment secretary said in July.

Of course, being Michael Gove, people here will predictably say they don't believe it.

I'm not sure whether the fuss is justified - I think I'm right in saying that most chicken purchased in the UK is reared here, and we in fact rear so much that we actually export it, so I doubt that American chlorinated chicken would prove to be any more popular than that awful American cheese that no sensible person buys. Still, as a vegetarian, I don't buy chicken anyway - chlorinated or not.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Look at the label, read it, understand it, then choose to buy or not to buy, how is that being opposed to raising standards? Remember the prion problem, BSE burgers etc?
    That emanated from here if I am not mistaken and whilst we were in the EU.

elledriver and nomad like this.
  16. Didactylos4

Yes but I did stipulate "sane"

17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

smoothnewt likes this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

In some ways it will be excellent as with all the fuss it should make consumers look again at what is in their food.

And right now as an EU citizen I am not impressed with the "E' additives, the allowance of mercury in fish, recent egg scandals in the EU.

All food carries a risk these days as we have little idea or control over it.

And I'm not sure how cutting out these chickens but having a diet rich in sugary drinks, french fries etc, makes any sense.

But hopefully the rather phony outrage at this (it is directed more at trying to disgrace Brexit) will make more think about the ingredients and additives of all food.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

and about animal welfare I hope.
    Our food standards, with or without being part of the EU, should remain the same or even improve.
    We still have some room for improvement in this area ourselves and the public will not, I think, accept any lesser standards

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Who reads every label and remembers every nuance of everything they buy?

What about take-away food and food in restaurants? Generally there is NO labelling and no description of what we are getting other than the names of some of the ingredients.

I'd rather live in a regulated safe and compassionate world than one where anyone can do anything they like and it's up to me to understand and remember everything about every product and make individual decisions multiple times per shopping trip.

We buy electrical items that have to reach particular standards for instance, we don't get a choice of a range of safety standards based on our own particular calculations of risk. Food risks are far more complex that those for electricity.

TCSC47, smoothnewt and InkyP like this.