1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

opinon please

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by codyboy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. hi everyone - i just want a few opinions please. ok i am a supply teacher in N.Ireland and like most places jobs are scare - if there are any and supply work has dried up. i am out now 6 years and have been told by the schools that i previously subbed in that i am just too dear - which, at least they were honest about. from sep i have had 8 days subbing - not good. i got married in july and am seriously skint. previous to this i had plenty of subbing but pretty much always on a daily basis, maybe the odd week here and there. i had one longish spell and only managed to get induction started - that was 3 years ago. i would say i would need to restart it at this stage.
    so here is my dilema - brecause of all the above mentioned, i am totally disheartened and i am considering leaving teaching - even just for a few years until things improve. i was considering applying for a nursery assistant post in a daycare. Oh to have the stability of a full time job, not waiting on the phone to ring to see when i might have work, a REGULAR wage (i know subbing is good money, but it does not offer stability.) id obviously earn enough to live off. i you think about it a sub can only teach 9 months out of the year, so say after tax you have 1000 a month, thats 9 grand a year. (just doing an averge, rough calculation) so would it be that big of a drop in money? - yes you would work harder for it but as i say stability and full time work just soung lovely after 6 years of waiting. and that fact that i would still be working with kids - if i did decide to go back into teaching, it would have just added to my experience in still working with kids.
    soz for the long rant - so what you think.
    thanks everyone
    codyxx

2. hi everyone - i just want a few opinions please. ok i am a supply teacher in N.Ireland and like most places jobs are scare - if there are any and supply work has dried up. i am out now 6 years and have been told by the schools that i previously subbed in that i am just too dear - which, at least they were honest about. from sep i have had 8 days subbing - not good. i got married in july and am seriously skint. previous to this i had plenty of subbing but pretty much always on a daily basis, maybe the odd week here and there. i had one longish spell and only managed to get induction started - that was 3 years ago. i would say i would need to restart it at this stage.
    so here is my dilema - brecause of all the above mentioned, i am totally disheartened and i am considering leaving teaching - even just for a few years until things improve. i was considering applying for a nursery assistant post in a daycare. Oh to have the stability of a full time job, not waiting on the phone to ring to see when i might have work, a REGULAR wage (i know subbing is good money, but it does not offer stability.) id obviously earn enough to live off. i you think about it a sub can only teach 9 months out of the year, so say after tax you have 1000 a month, thats 9 grand a year. (just doing an averge, rough calculation) so would it be that big of a drop in money? - yes you would work harder for it but as i say stability and full time work just soung lovely after 6 years of waiting. and that fact that i would still be working with kids - if i did decide to go back into teaching, it would have just added to my experience in still working with kids.
    soz for the long rant - so what you think.
    thanks everyone
    codyxx

3. "..even for a few years until things improve..." I really don't think things will improve. For things to improve it would take a court case brought by a parent following some unfortunate event in which a child came to harm due to the absence of qualified teacher supervision. But the current government will probably close off that possibility by legislating that unqualified teachers can take responsibility for classes, eg in academies and extending to all schools.
    I have never before on TES commented on another poster's typing or literacy skills, but honestly I'd have to say that there are so many missing capital letters in your post that I'd wonder if these are not repeated in the formal job. Maybe it's just message board typos and speak.
    You have to do what you see best in your circumstances. Depending on your postcode, supply may or may not continue as a viable income source. From your account, it doesn't look good in your area, it will not improve.

4. Unqualified teachers can take responsibility for classes now in that they can work in a class without working under the supervision of a qualified teacher.
    However I think you really mean unqualified staff i.e support staff who have no teaching qualifications such as CSs and TAs. They have to work under the supervision of a qualified teacher but such a teacher does not have to be present in the classroom.
    Do not worry about the confusion about the difference between unqualified staff and unqualified teachers since our political masters such as Ministers for Education do not know the difference. In a written reply to a question in the House about the use of unqualified staff Nick Gibb refered only to unqualified teachers and made no mention at all of all the other unqualified staff who carry out teaching duties.

5. thanks for the advice. just an INFORMAL chat on the web. just didnt hold the caps lock button in. hardly a big deal

6. No problem. I slipped up in one of my uses of "unqualified teachers", I was meaning tas or cs.