1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jan 10, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree with him.

aspensquiver and ScotSEN like this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

"The problem with today's world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it."

The problem? Really? :confused:

4. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The problem is you cannot always express that opinion. It may be subject to censorship, redaction or retribution.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's a tad pedantic and unlike you, Cute - making such a comment doesn't necessarily imply that he means it is THE (i.e. only) problem.

Burndenpark and ScotSEN like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I agree... thing is some people think their 'opinion' deserves special protections...

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Ah, but some people believe their opinion is the one true opinion and everyone else is a drongo for failing to recognise that fact.

8. cuteinpuce

But it does imply that and it seems, to me, to be a fairly sloppy use of language to use on a poster bigging up the use of reason.

9. cuteinpuce

(Not to mention the fact that he starts by stating something that everyone believes and then demonstrates that he doesn't.)

10. monicabilongame

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

that's your opinion... but it doesn't imply that to me. *shrug*
    i agree with him
    edit - this was for @cuteinpuce

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    aspensquiver likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I wish he'd get his bloody hair cut!

13. monicabilongame

Along with this (sorry for the rude word but it's a quote and I don't know how to photoshop it out...

[​IMG]

14. cuteinpuce

He could do with a shave as well.

15. monicabilongame

Nah, he's fine as he is

aspensquiver likes this.
  16. cuteinpuce

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

I suspect that Stephen Fry never working under a bullying manager.

17. Polymind

Polymind New commenter

The notion that everyone is entitled to an opinion is the 21st century's most fatuous illusion.

Only people who know what they are talking about are entitled to an opinion, which is why I have no opinions on Professor Cox's field of expertise, and quite possibly why he has no opinions on Sweelinck's use of the extended dominant in the cadential passages of his chorale-variations.

We were best to remember Wittgenstein's seventh proposition: Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen - whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent.

18. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Is Brian Cox doing anything about the safe space nonsense in universities?

It would be good to see him put his money where his mouth is.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What experience do you have of that, cutiepie? It's worth bearing in mind that bullying managers' henchmen work under bullying managers, but don't necessarily see it as a disadvantage.

20. cuteinpuce

So remember emotional abusers, don't think of modifying the expression of your views just because someone's feelings might get hurt. :confused: