1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions sought on MFL training

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by choca_holic, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'll be starting a Primary PGCE this September, and the university have asked us to state our preference for which language we want to do our MFL training in - French, German or Spanish. I believe we get the bronze certificate at the end of it.
    I'm probably getting too ahead of myself thinking about next year's job applications already, but do you as heads, or anyone who has recently been to interviews, have an opinion on which is preferable (if any) to get a job?
    I expect the pegagogy training on how to teach MFL will be the same across all 3 strands, so the skills are transferable, but I think French is more common to teach in primary schools, so would it be a disadvantage in shortlisting if I trained in German or Spanish?
    I should add that I am fluent in German, so this would be my easiest option during the heavy workload of the PGCE, but I do have (rusty!) A level French so could do either.
    It would be great to know if this is something you would look at/consider when shortlisting applicants.
    Thanks!
    PS - I'm aware the future of MFL in primary schools is unknown with the curriculum review, but for the purpose of my post let's assume it stays roughly as it is!

2. Thanks for the responses guys!
    I completely see your point about using this as an opportunity to learn Spanish to the level required in KS2, but naturally I'm worried about the workload this would add...I'll have to give it more thought.
    It would be great to hear from some headteachers if anyone has an opinion on it? If it's way down on the list of priorities when recruiting I may take the easier route, but if you think it would give me the edge over others to be able to offer all 3 I may go for it!