1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

opinions please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon777, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I wasn't claiming it was 'unlawful' - I indicated previously that a lot of people get very upset indeed if they find out later that you recorded them without asking/telling first.
    If the OP feels s/he is being bullied, this kind of behaviour might be a hindrance rather than a help.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

There is at least an argument that routine covert recording is a breach of the implied duty of trust and confidence between employer/employee. It is not as clear cut as you suggest and I would advise against routine covert recording.
    It is true that the ET may admit such recordings into evidence, but the law is far from clear on routine recordings.

3. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

There does seem to be a myopic focus here on whether the OP commits a criminal offence by secretly recording all day in school. Even if it were absolutely certain it was legal - and that certainty doesn't seem to exist and data protection law doen't seem to have been considered either - it doesn't follow that it'd be OK to do it. OP maybe understandably is thinking of their issues with the head but is ignoring every other relationship in school. How would you feel, as a teacher, if you found that OP had secretly recorded all your conversations with him? If you shared a personal confidence with OP not knowing you were being recorded? It wouldn't do much for the atmosphere in my staff room. And what would it do for home-school relationships if parents found out their conversations were being recorded. Has OP considered what would happen if a parent alleged that secret recordings of their child was grooming? No doubt OP would be shocked at the suggestion but plenty of threads here show that staff have been suspended for less. And wouldn't it expose OP to disciplinary action for breach of school DP policy?

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

There is more to law than criminal law. I was referring, for example, to employment law...