1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

opinions please (am I being over-sensitive)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blundellgirl43, Mar 4, 2012.

1. blundellgirl43

blundellgirl43 New commenter

I'm having a bit of difficulty lately and I don't know whether I am being over-sensitive or I'm justified in feeling a little over-criticised.
    In the passed 4 weeks I have been told I shouldn't have sent children to find a first aider (who should have been in the corridor but wasn't) as it could have endangered them. Been told I should have not checked with the head over an issue that concerned my class only, Been questioned why I have changed groups in the class (top set Literacy) and been told I should have done something for another year group as well as mine as 'we work as a team' (even though things have been arranged in other classes without including mine).
    Other things have happened which make me feel that my professionalism is being questioned. I spend my lunch hour eating and preparing for the afternoon and marking 1 set of books but am criticised for not spending the hour having lunch with the rest of the team. Personally I would rather mark books during school time than take them home, it doesn't mean I am ignoring everyone ( I do spend time with everyone else when I am having PPA in the afternoon).
    Am I being over-sensitive, honest opinions please.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

no you are not, especially if all of the comments are coming from one person.
    in particular, You are entirely free to spend your lunch time as you find best. I have sometimes visitied staff rooms, sometimes not. Conversations about childbirth and the aftermath as often found in one of my schools got tedious after the tenth time of hearing so i ate in my room, in the summer i go and sit int he small quads to get some light and air etc etc.
    The best SMT I have worked under tend to keep away from the staff room and leave it as us lower grade's letting off steam room.
    I hate leaders who tell you what you should have done after the event!

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Welcome to TES, blundellgirl.

4. I think is easy to feel "got at". Especially when several things combine together. I go through periods when I feel that every criticism is aimed at me. It probably isn't, but I do wonder. I work really hard and, though I am not arrogant enough to say I am an amazing teacher, I am not bad at it. I am always doing my best to improve and do go the extra mile. I think I am valued, but it doesn't always feel like it.
    Everyone needs a bit of praise and acknowledgement sometimes. HTs have a lot on their plates and forget that praise is a good management tool - just as teachers can forget to praise the child who always works hard and doesn't cause trouble. TES is a good place to moan and let off steam though. I'm sure you are not being "got at", and well done for not taking marking home... don't be ashamed of wanting to have a life.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Who is doing the criticising?
    Is it the HT or a team leader or member?

6. blundellgirl43

To be honest it is several members of the team (lower KS2). The headteacher has never criticised me as she knows how I teach from a previous school.
    Feeling a little better after venting my frustration, thank you.
    Will go in tomorrow with a renewed sense of purpose, I am there to teach the children.

7. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

My suspicion
    Practising my inference skills here ...
    The headteacher is relatively new.
    You have previously worked with the headteacher.
    The headteacher is concerned about progress in Lower KS2 (this is a pattern nationally).
    The lower KS2 team members feel under threat and that you are some kind of "whizz kid" brought who doesn't want to fit into their long established systems.
    The only comment I would take much notice of is the lunchtime one. It might be in your interests to spend the occasional lunchtime each week eating with these people if it helps build up communication. Ask them for ideas for things as often as they can, help them to see that you are interested in their opinions - even if you don't follow it!
    I am not at all suggesting that any of this is your fault - it's their attitude which is the problem. You are more likely to solve the problem, though, by getting as "on side" with them as you can without compromising what you do in your own classroom.

8. blundellgirl43

Thanks for the advice, you have hit the nail on the head. Will spend more lunchtimes (not all) with them and see what happens. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes and I certainly don't think I have all the answers. Will keep you posted.