1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on SIMS and other alternatives please

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by mrali_b, Feb 2, 2018.

1. mrali_b

mrali_b New commenter

Hi,

We are currently looking to apply a software application such as SIMS (currently front runner) to our school - however I wanted to get everyone's opinion, I have heard mixed feelings about this and want to make the right choice since the set up will be troublesome to change once started.

Have you used SIMS, what do you think are the pros and cons? Do the servers go down?
    What are your favorite features of SIMS?
    Have you used ISAM? How is the price and usability etc?
    We are also in talks with Pappaya Education which doesn't require any third party software, is fairly new and updated, great service and support, and the best price overall - anyone used Pappaya Education?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

mrali_b likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

SIMS was one of several reasons people in schools found the "R" in Capita (long before Private Eye).
    Not up to date with it though.

mrali_b likes this.
  4. inceywincey

inceywincey Occasional commenter

I hate SIMS mostly because I seemed to spend hours of every day logging stuff on it; following up any logs for my tutor group; copying attendance into planners; logging homework tasks; then logging who had and hadn't completed it etc etc. It seems massive and my old SLT loved sending out reports generated from the data. I haven't used anything else so can't help on that front.
    Should also say that although we entered data on it and reports were generated from it, the school I was at declared that we also had to use another system to analyse progress data because SIMS was not up to the job - I know not why as it all looked pretty much the same to me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    mrali_b likes this.
  5. mrali_b

mrali_b New commenter

Thank you so much!

Agreed on SIMS! A friend school using SIMS was using 20+ other software programs on top of it to manage the school.

We are trialing Pappaya Ed right now, so far it is going great, a streamline admissions process, RFID for visitors and attendance, smart classrooms etc on one software and more than half the price of SIMS! Recommend!