1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on SATs testing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by danielled97, Mar 14, 2017.

1. danielled97

danielled97 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am in the final few months of my access to higher education course prior to starting a Primary Education BA with QTS course in September. For my final project I am keen to understand the opinion of Primary teachers with regards to SATs assessments.

Please let me know your thoughts, feeling and experiences of preparing children for SATs and the how the assessments effect teachers and pupils for Key Stage 1 & 2.
    Or if you know any interesting journals or articles on this topic that would be great!

Thank you for reading, Danielle :)

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Just one interesting point for you.
    Who has told you that primary SATs exist? What did they tell you the letters stand for? Or did you just get it from hearsay? ("Everyone says it and so it must be right.")
    In fact, it is a myth.
    Children here do national curriculum tests - NCTs - and they are nothing like SATs (or "Sats" as the tabloids term them).

If a tutor has told you about "SATs assessments", ask them to tell you the truth.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Nearly a decade and you're still giving false information on the Internet and trying to pass it off as fact.

Got to hand it to you, Markuss, that's some perseverance.

I don't mind the tests in themselves. I think the way they are used as a stick to beat schools with is ridiculous. I think the pressure that parents, the media (and some schools) put children under is a disgrace.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I'm a Y6 teacher, and I also have a son in Y6.

The pressure that I am under from SLT to get our cohort to where they should be is ridiculous. I have taught Y6 in 3 schools and it's been the same in all of them. At my last school I had a child whose grandmother died just before the tests. She lived in France, His Mum told the school she was taking him out for a week to go to the funeral. Head went mad,saying he'd miss far too much at a crucial time. Wanted me to phone the bereaved Mum and ask why her son couldn't stay at home, perhaps with family friends and miss the funeral. I refused.

The curriculum is harder and thus the tests are too. Therefore I have to explain to my 11 year old that the tests his older brother did 4 years ago were not as tough as those he'll sit. In fact he's sat at the table as I type with his CGP revision books out doing some revision - not at my behest I hasten to add. His school are doing Easter school for ALL kids in their cohort this year - not just targeted children. We had a letter requesting that we sign up for either the Maths or the English day, or both. He will not be attending.

At my school we have children come into Y6 far below where they 'need' to be, and we have to look at their progress from KS1 to now and translate what they need to do into points and marks on tests. My year partner and I look at some of them and we cannot understand how they managed to be a 2b then when that is not the reality we face. Yet our PRP depends on us and the children performing some kind of mass miracle.

It's a monstrous joke.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Yeah, I don't get these Easter school things. A friend of mine did them last year for his Y6 class. I need my break! There's no chance I'm coming in over Easter. The children need to chill out too.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I'm not even doing any kind of boosters. The children are what they are and I refuse to put them under ridiculous pressure that they just don't need.

They're just 11 years old. They're little children. They should be enjoying their childhood. It's hard enough being that age in today's world without being stressed up to the eyeballs by a test that will have no bearing on their future prospects.

Lara mfl 05 and Milgod like this.
  7. danielled97

danielled97 New commenter