1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on SATs testing?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by danielled97, Mar 13, 2017.

1. danielled97

danielled97 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I am in the final few months of my access to higher education course prior to starting a Primary Education BA with QTS course in September. For my final project I am keen to understand the opinion of Primary teachers with regards to SATs assessments.

Please let me know your thoughts, feeling and experiences of preparing children for SATs and the actual assessments for Key Stage 1 & 2.
    Or if you know any interesting journals or articles on this topic that would be great!

Thank you for reading, Danielle :)

2. SparkyTeaching

SparkyTeaching New commenter

Having taught Y6 in preparation for SATs for several years, Y5 at a school where they bought in 'mock SATs' paper for them to do and Y6 in several schools where SATs were not taken (in Wales), we know where we prefer.

The external pressure for schools to perform well in SATs feeds directly down to their students. And so what is supposed to be the pinnacle of a student's life at primary school becomes a lead-up to an over-inflated week in May. If it's about sending accurate levels to secondary school then 1) we need to be sure that secondary schools will use them and 2) there are better ways to do this. If it's about showing a school's progress to the outside world and Government, then we really need to take a step back and think about what we're doing to Year Sixes. Let alone the Year Twos. There are lots of skills that SATs don't test, many of them infinitely more important to develop in children, but yet the emphasis we place on preparation for SATs skews this massively. The sooner they go, the better.

That's our opinion.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]