1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on references

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by giddyG2001, Jan 29, 2012.

1. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Hi all,

I am just putting the finishing touches to my primary pgce and scitt applications and wanted people's opinions on references. I am currently doing an MA in Drama and my tutor has agreed to be a referee which is great but I've also done 2 sessions volunteering at a primary school (started in the Jan term and it is an ongoing thing).

My question is....do I ask the school teacher I have been working for if I can out her down as my first referee or stick with my uni tutor. It would probably look better to have the teacher as she has seen my working with the children first hand BUT I have only been working with her for a couple of weeks and as lovely as she is, I feel a bit uncomfortable asking her as I don't really know her. Also, I know my uni tutor really well and could impress on her the importance of getting the reference done ASAP whereas, again, I would feel a bit uncomfortable pressing the teacher for time.

So, what do you guys think - teacher first and lecturer second or the other way round?

Thanks in advance!

2. Definitely the tutor as your first referee. Most Uni's require and academic tutor and it may stall your application if you don't. I left Uni 4 years ago and asked a uni at a Train to Teach Event if I could do without an academic referee and they said it would be very frowned upon by admissions! You could always contact the courses you're applying to. On a sidenote is this an application for this year? Its just I don't want be a spoilsport but a lot of Uni's may have filled up now. Or are you superorganised and getting it ready for September?!

3. Hi, if you have graduated within the last 5 years the GTTR process really asks for an academic reference as your first referee (I think it's quite unlikely that your 2nd referee will get contacted). When I was applying in November I called Goldsmiths and asked the admissions office there whether they would prefer an academic reference or an employment reference (I've been working for 4 years) and they said they definitely required an academic reference as the first referee. I would call the institution you are applying to and ask them but my gut feeling for the PGCE would be that your uni tutor would be most sensible and complies with what GTTR asks for. I'm afraid I can't help for your scitt application.
    good luck
    Becky

4. I'm an admissions tutor and course leader for a PGCE course. Posted about this topic dozens of times over the years - if you search you'll probably find. I want to see an academic reference. GTTR says that if you graduated in the last 5 years you must provide one. If an applicant doesn't follow this simple instruction, I put their application straight in the bin. I receive 100 good applications for 10 available places and need to find a way to get the numbers down to a manageable level. This makes it easy for me. Sounds cruel, probably is, but do what they ask and don't get binned.

5. giddyG2001

giddyG2001 New commenter

Thanks for the advice guys, put my tutor down and sent off my reference request today so hopefully she'll get it done quick as I know places are filling up fast!

6. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the deadline for Primary was 1st Dec? I'm not 100% sure, just thought it was?

7. I thought you still could... so checked. This is from the GTTR website:
    Q: Can I apply for primary courses after the 1 December deadline?
    A: Yes, you can apply for primary courses after the 1 December deadline, but training providers don't have to consider you. Check Course Search to find out if training providers have vacancies and then contact them to confirm they can consider you before applying.
    I think the earlier you apply the better shot you have at the more oversubscribed courses, but there should still be options around if you're not constrained by training in a particular location. I basically needed to train very close to home, so applied early.

8. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

Thank you. I'm a Secondary applicant so I wasn't sure. I applied early too, I know from previous applicaton cycles that the earlier the better!