1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on e-Portfolios

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by anon397, Sep 9, 2011.

1. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on e-Portfolios? I am currently looking at a couple of providers and was looking for any advice on which are good and which aren't. Any information on any provider would be welcomed.

Thanks

2. What do you want the E-Porfolio for?
    Storing work?
    Allowing students to manage work storage?
    Tracking assessments?
    Tracking progress?
    For what kind of course(s)?

3. Sharepoint is a reasonable system, allows you to use standard MS formats to store anything, you just need to get the permissions right to allwo teachers to drop in support material and then give students appropraite access.
    I think having looked at one or two e-portfolio systems (not that I recall the names), they were differently good and differently bad to things such as Moodle and others based on VLE engines.
    So not sure if it much use, but Sharepoint is okay. Unless you want active updating of open resources (such as an e-ILP), but my analysis of systems tells me thatsort of stuff is a bit of red herring.
    The real tirkc is to make sure you have done a good Needs Analysis and created a useable spec that you can drop into the software companies lap, and see what they come up with.

4. E-portfolios and VLEs are not always the same thing, though they could share elements of each other.
    When I think of E-Portfolios I think of products like NVQnow, ForSkills or SkillsWise as commercial options, or Mahara as an open source free option. But they have different focusses and features hence my questions.
    VLEs (virtual learning environments) are things like Moodle or Blackboard and others (and yes some people use SharePoint to create one).