1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Controlled Assessment

Discussion in 'Science' started by 2Tony2, May 25, 2012.

1. We are a centre currently doing OCR 21C and have had a go at all of the three types of controlled assessment.
    We are somewhat dissatisfied with the experience and are wondering whether the controlled assessment systems for the other courses might better suit our needs.
    We have already decided to move to one of the Certificate/IGCSE courses for the top 40% or so of our cohort. The remainder will then do Core and Additional Science. It would be really useful to know the experiences of other centres who do controlled assessment for AQA, Gateway or Edexcel. If the controlled assessment with these courses is more fit for purpose it might be worth the work required to change.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

We have moved completely to eperate sciences and I am still a bit confused about what pupils will be marked on. Have you done an OCR Biology controlled assessment yet? If so what topic did you do it on?

3. We have only done the physics based practical investigation so far. However we are preparing for the biology one, which is movement of water and dissolved substances I think.

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

5. Thanks for the recommendation, I will follow it up.