1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on commuting into school!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lbsch, Jul 29, 2017.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't think I could commute by bus - the buses in my home city are SO SLOW now I could walk faster I think

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I wonder how many of those sneering at public transport are those who get really over-earnest and carried away when lecturing the kids about the environment.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I got the bus for a year. Yes, you can't carry much but it was a nice break between home and work.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The deputy head at my school used the bus, probably still does, as did several other teachers from time to time. Why would anyone mock?

mathsmutt and peggylu like this.
  5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Do school work on the bus - you can get battery powered laminators these days. Then see if your colleagues are still laughing.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Thatcher's Britain.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errrr Think the other passengers might be laughing...

lizziescat likes this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Maybe, but I bet no one will take the seat next to you:D

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D
    Good point... And one not to be sneezed at.
    (Which also stops people sitting next to you!)

mathsmutt and lizziescat like this.
  10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

We have posh buses now even out here in woolly-back country
    They have mains power, usb chargers and wifi :D

11. Lbsch

Lbsch New commenter

Wow, I missed a lot of responses! Thank you to everyone who has replied!

Unfortunately I'm struggling to pass the blumming test, so driving is out of the window at the minute! My options are either cycling in (which I'm loathe to do, I would hate having to cycle when I'm already shattered) or bus. I'm feeling a lot better about taking it now, bolstered by everyone's comments! I commuted throughout all of my college days, so I do miss the time you get to sit and think!

The big plus for me will be something repeated a lot- not taking all of your work home. Everyone warns me to have at least one day where you don't take anything home, so at least staying longer will make that easier! And for the days where I stay too long... occasional taxis won't hurt me too much!

Thank you all again, I feel a lot better! :)

FrankWolley and mathsmutt like this.
  12. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

A previous head teacher I worked for couldn't drive and caught the bus to school. It''s more common in London as the public transport is so frequent and parking such a nightmare.

13. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Several of my colleagues take the bus/train to work. My husband has quite a long commute and he takes the train as he can do marking on it/or relax and switch off before he gets home.

It prevents you from taking too much stuff home and gives you some down time. Not a big deal- ignore those who say otherwise

palmtree100 likes this.
  14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You don't need business use to drive to work!

lilachardy likes this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If you go by bus then YOU are the one doing the right thing. So many people drive when they don't need to. You should feel proud of yourself that you're doing your bit for congestion and the environment.

We moved to where we live now so my husband could get the bus to work, as he hates to drive in. Shortly afterwards they moved his office to the opposite side of town so he had to driev there. It was infuriating. Now he cycles or goes by train. He will do almost anything to avoid driving to work.