1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on commuting into school!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lbsch, Jul 29, 2017.

1. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

My first 3 years i didnt drive.i started in a city getting 2 buses which was no problem as it had good connections.very often smt gave me a lift home.i didnt stay at the school as i couldnt rent anywhere decent.my next school i rented round the corner from the school which was very nice and my last school which was a permanent contract i got 2 buses till i took and passed my test.it was ok.just make sure you leave plenty of time in the morning allowing for hold ups.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That's an upside!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes, and I intend to do it quite a bit next year (weather permitting)

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Have to say the bus is very different to the train.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Saw this on FB this morning and thought of the OP...
    [​IMG]

Lbsch likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Does nobody stop and offer a lift?
    :eek:

catmother likes this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've never heard anyone being mocked for taking the bus to get to work. What a strange place you must work in.

jarndyce and FrankWolley like this.
  8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I agree. I am pretty positive that the reason I very rarely take work home with me now is because when I was an NQT (or probationer as it was then called), I had to catch 2 buses into work and it would take me well over an hour. I also lived about 20 minutes' walk from the first bus stop. I didn't take work home at the beginning of my career and the habit has stuck. :D

suem75 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I travelled in India years ago and went on a couple of very overcrowded trains. I also did a bit of roof-riding, which I don't recommend because you get a sore back, a sore a*** and terrible sunburn

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually the train from Ely to Cambridge was like that one hot day last half term (only kidding)

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I think the OP should travel any way they can.
    I have never cared about what people/colleagues thought about how I travelled to work and on the very very rare occasions when they mentioned it they got short and rather pointed replies.
    That usually prevented any further comments ;)

12. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

A vehicle licence is provisional for a whole range of things. You can ride up to a 125cc on L plates and need to do a CBT. You ride the bike to the CBT you have have it delivered. You will need L-plates back and front (2 points for each missing plus no insurance) Once you have your certficate (the ol' DL196) you have two years to complete your test.

This link provides more detail:
    http://www.helpingldrivers.com/helping-learner-riders/the-law/

"Will gain you total respect from the students, too."
    When I started teaching I had a full car licence but also rode a motorcycle on L-plates. One of the classes I had was a remnant of ROSLA. The school had just started taking part in STEP (Schools Traffic Education Programme). There were two Puch Maxi mopeds that we used to deliver this.

The total respect I had derived from the fact that I was the only one who could start them. They required the same knack in starting as a moped I had owned and couldn't be started any other way.;)

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The bottom line is:

However you get to school - as long as you are there on time - nobody cares.

needabreak likes this.
  14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Who are these people who look down on a particular mode of transport. Out of interest how do they demonstrate the smugness, stigma etc?
    Travel by bus and explain along the lines of, "I don't really like leaving the Ferrari/Porsche/ Lamborghini in the school car park as the spaces aren't really big enough for it or it might get damaged by staff who are jealous/so far up themselves they ve disappeared up ...... (ok maybe not the last bit)

Good enough reason for anyone to (claim to ) travel by public transport.

Me neither. Where I've taught people were too busy getting on with the job to even notice, let alone care how people travelled.

peggylu and needabreak like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Really?
    I might need to try this...obviously been missing a trick over the last couple of years.:D

16. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Thinking forward.... and maybe stating the obvious ... when you do pass your test and get a car make sure you are insured "for business purposes" as well as the usual "social, domestic and pleasure" driving, if you intend to use your car for commuting to and from work.

17. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I taught in a town 15 miles away from home for eight years without being able to drive. There were a number of car pools operating, with a "going rate" for those who were non-drivers. I also used the bus, which was about 40 minutes. Obviously routes vary, but mine got me there about 8.25, and I was never late due to the bus. On a few occasions the main road to the town had an accident on it; because the bus left slightly earlier, and the bus drivers were ace at the back routes, I was sometimes the first one in from that route. I once missed the bus; on that occasion I did resort to a taxi, but once in eight years didn't break the bank.

As for colleagues' attitudes, yes, it's a bit weird how some people think taking the bus is terrible. We once had a department social at a pub on the bus route. There was a bus home from outside the pub just before 11, which took me to 30 yards from home. An older colleague insisted on driving me all the way home rather than let me catch the bus. I even had the return ticket already.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

First three years I cycled four miles through London suburban traffic to school and back every day.

In my second post, twenty years, most days I walked to school and back. I walked in so often that on some days when I took the car I'd forget and walk home. Rounding the last corner I'd think "Some b*****d's pinched my car!" - then I'd remember and have to walk back to school again to pick it up.

19. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

As for resources and papers to mark, you will not be the first one...
    70801091_l.jpg

Lbsch likes this.
  20. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

I used to commute by bike and train - loved the 20 minute train journey each way as it gave me time to read each day. I found I was more chilled when arriving at work as I hadn't had to sit in traffic and had got rid of all the angst from the day by the time I got home as I'd been able to stick my nose in a book. Now I work closer to home and don't have to bother with the train, which has really impacted on the amount I read!

peggylu likes this.