1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions of formal schooling starting later, for presentation!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ashley6702, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hi i am currently doing a presentation discussing formal schooling and how me and my group believe it should start later as in Finland and other worldwide countries i would be greatful for some opinions......... thanks Ashley

2. Yes it absolutely should start later, to give children time to become "ready to learn" by maturing, developing motor skills etc; although I know this would not necessarily happen at home, countries like finland have Kindergarten don't they? (I'm not 100% sure) which a child starts at a younger age but in which there is no "formal" schooling, just loads of explorative play-based activities. I saw on teachers' TV once that children are not expected to hold a pencil to learn to form letters and numbers until age 7. Up until that point they paint with large brushes and paper, use ribbons, chalk and crayon/ shaving foam etc; all the things that are happening in the FS curriculum here (but without the learning of words etc) I do think it's sad that children at age 4 years and 2 months can be expected to begin formal school, i.e. sitting at the front of a huge assembly hall for no apparent reason etc.
    However there are children who are ready to learn to read and write etc at age 4 and they should in no means be held back, but i don't think a text rich environment as described above, with lots of opportunities to role play writing etc with some teacher input, would do that!

3. Hello,
    I have written a dissertation on this topic which gave both sides of the arguement for formal schooling beginning early as well as later.
    I could give you my list of references if you are looking for more literature to support your opinion.

4. heya, sorry would you be so kind and send me your dissertation paper too?
    I am a second year student doing Early Years Development and Education and only need some ideas about the subject, will not copy anything.

My email is kasiaaniaflora@gmail.com