1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed on year 1 numeracy lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KarrieGem, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT teaching Year 1 in a maternity cover post, so only started at Easter. I have my first observation next week. I teach the year 1 top set. The lesson is going to be Numeracy and we are doing shape. The children have done quite a lot on 2D shape before with the other teacher so next week 3D shape is the main focus. The lesson being observed is the first of the week so at the moment I am thinking I will do quite a quick recap of 2D shapes so I can check their understanding before moving on to 3D. I was thinking of using a feeling bag during the whole class part of the lesson to encourage children to feel the shapes and describe their properties and also maybe bringing in some real objects like cereal boxes etc so they can see the shapes in real life, but at the moment I am struggling to settle on group activities. I have quite a few ideas but obviously can't do everything in that first lesson so can do some of them later in the week but need to settle on a really good plan for my observation lesson and I would appreciate peoples opinions. I have 4 groups and two adults in the room so can have two teacher led / supported activities. These are my ideas so far:
    Children look around the room for 3D shapes
    Continuation of the feely bag type activity but in a group
    For the groups who work independently I thought about making 3D shapes in some way so they can actually feel them in their hands - either junk modelling, play dough, construction kits - not sure really.
    Sorting shapes according to their properties using hoops
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated, would really like to settle on a plan so I don't feel so nervous! Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. Anyone?
    K x

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Sorry can't help, never taught yr1. Replied to let you know the wind isn't just whistling through your post. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

At the moment you have lots of ideas that cover different learning objectives.
    I think the first thing you need to do is decide on a clear learning objective and focus your teaching and activities to that.
    So, do you want the children to recognise and name 3D solids (this could include looking at boxes, making models using 3D solids and labelling solids they used, finding them around school etc). There is an activity for the IWB where they have to guess the shape
    http://www.ictgames.co.uk/
    OR
    Do you want them to describe the properties of the 3D solids - this could be where your feely bag and sorting activities come in. Personally I think this would be better for a second lesson on 3D solids rather than a first, especially if they haven't done much work on 3D solids yet.

5. Thank you so much for your help, you've really helped clarify my thoughts! As it's the first lesson really on 3D shapes I think I should be focusing on recognising and naming 3D solids so having some children finding them around the school, making models etc. I think I might do a feely bag activity with 2d shapes at the start as a sort of recap. I'm really keen to have junk modelling as one of the activities because we are doing a topic on recycling at the moment and there is a big push on cross curricular teaching and learning at my school at the moment. Sounds silly but never actually done junk modelling before would you literally provide children with lots of packets, boxes etc and tape and ask them to use them create create models and identify the shapes they've used?

Thanks again,
    K x

6. Yes, like you said. Or you could give them a context - e.g. to make a monster/something else and then they have to identify the shapes they have used for the different parts of the body - e.g. head, arms, legs, eyes.

7. Thank you for your help. I'm actually debating whether to have the recap of 2D shapes as the starter - our numeracy lessons aren't a full hour due to the way our day is laid out which means we are often really pushed for time, so for this observation I'm worried about fitting eveything in so thinking if I did a feely bag activity as a quick recap of 2D shapes as the the starter then I culd just focus on 3D during the rest of the lesson.
    K x