1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

opinion

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Happyregardless, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Just scrolling through generally other forums to get different perspective/objectivity etc. and it just struck me
    how many of the 'Leadership posts' were just about how that person could get onto the next level/advice about getting up next rung of ladder, 'all about me' etc? Nothing wrong with that per se - that's what that part of the forum is there for, but, it did strike me that literally noone in a leadership position was seeking advice about how to help and guide other colleagues?

They weren't seeking advice either about helping others, in direct contrast to the hundreds of posts asking for help and advice on 'workplace dilemmas' and elsewhere overall on the forum from hurting teachers who are often answered by other teachers not in 'management/leadership'? Ie leadership through being a servant to others?

Matthew 20: 26 "Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant"

Just an observations and an 'outsiders' perspective that's all ;)

ajrowing likes this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suspect that most people in this position would give advice from their own experience, and not feel the need to ask on a forum. I certainly have never had any trouble getting career advice or offering it. There have, by the way, been several threads from people seeking advice on dealing with problems with people who report to them - they often get unsympathetic and unhelpful answers. And some of the most helpful contributors are in senior positions.

Pomza and livingstone83 like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Retired now, but I didn't need to seek advice about how to help and guide other colleagues. I just helped and guided them, when necessary.

That is because I had been placed in a leadership position, having demonstrated the ability to help and guide other colleagues!

Quelle surprise!

Would you really expect to see school leaders asking for advice on how to do their job?

Quite!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

It might not be clear across the forums who is in a leadership/ senior position.

There are leaders on here who offer support to others, particularly in workplace dilemmas. In workplace dilemmas there are many who guide from their experience gained in different ways- experienced by going through as employer or employee, union representative experience and many other experiences or roles.

I know I guide/ advise from a range of my experiences (policy, process, leading, being led), yet also from a human perspective of sometimes thinking what’s best for overall wellbeing- moving on, stepping away, not pursuing something.

nomad and Pomza like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Leadership posts are from those who would like to move up, so their 'dilemma' is the best way to go about it and they ask advice that is for them in their particular situation.
    Workplace Dilemma posts are from those whose dilemma is not career progression related and they ask advice that is for them in their particular situation.
    Both exactly the same in terms of 'all about me' and should be.

People do ask about how to manage this or that tricky person. But the problem with doing so, is that it involves stating colleague behaviour in a less that glowing light, something most leaders would be reluctant to do on a public forum.

However, never let it be said that an opportunity to criticise school leaders passed a TES poster by. :rolleyes:

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Bloomin’ evil headteacher types. Can’t stand em! ;)

7. install

install Star commenter

Imho ..'leadership isn't about 'greatness' , or being a sacrificial, Christ-like 'servant'. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Much as I have worked with a many incredible headteachers, none of have given the impression they would lay down their life for me!
    Mind you all have, I think, been real.

pepper5 and install like this.