1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion. Who would you trust? A politician or a junior doctor?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by silkywave, Jan 12, 2016.

1. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Same devious, underhand tactics employed. Up the workload or we change your contract. To hell with unions. All sound familiar?
    Young doctors will simply go abroad. As stealth privatisation of the NHS continues to take place.
    I'm supporting the junior doctors.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah I was expecting a poll :(

Junior Doctors...

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

ScotSEN and sabrinakat like this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What about a politician who is a doctor? Just curious....

Poll! Poll! Poll!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Obviously I guess it's context... I'd trust a Junior Doctor with an invasive surgical procedure.

And I'd trust a politician with running the count... *ack choking cough cough* ... sorry managed to defeat stooopid brain syndrome there. Close run thing.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Trusted lots of junior doctors with my life a while ago - would count my fingers if shaking hands with (most) politicians!

ScotSEN and sabrinakat like this.
  7. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

The worst case scenario for junior doctors is that they get a GP job at £85k a year.

But they're threatening to go abroad after the NHS spent tens and maybe hundreds of thousands on their training? That's taxpayers' money, don't forget and the majority of taxpayers don't have a hope of that salary.

Its a political protest and not much more.

8. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

9. johnnymitchell

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

After their years and years of training, and the ridiculously long hours worked, I support the junior doctors 100%

They must do it now, to prevent even worse conditions of employment (unlike teachers who have well and truly sold themselves down the river).

Politicians, no comment..

ScotSEN likes this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Had to laugh last year, though. The junior doctors were complaining about their salary - I caught sight of a pay slip and they make about the same as an NQT but of course, we teachers only work 9-5....

johnnymitchell likes this.
  12. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

So why is there a shortage of GP's ? It is not all about pay it is about hours and conditions. Very much as it is in Education. It is the final straw. A step too far....

TCSC47, ScotSEN and cissy3 like this.
  13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

images-13.jpg

The Junior Doctors or a politician with the Midas touch?

Not a very difficult decision who to believe is it?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  14. johnnymitchell

There's a shortage of GPs because you have to work hard to get into med school and work hard once you get there.

Plus you need to have a good brain.

Both of these are in short supply these days.

15. johnnymitchell

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A college friend of mine who is a gp and married to another one had their first ever Christmas and New year with each other - in their mid '50s. One or both of them have worked on one or both of these days every single year of their career.
    Many doctors work hours that make teachers' gripes pale into insignificance. The anger from previously compliant workers about the changes to contract is scary.

TCSC47, Noja and ScotSEN like this.
  17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How come i my surgery the docs are often away.i need to book 2 weeks in advance to see 'my' doctor..or just over a week for any of the others out of 7!
    How do they work those hours Phlogiston? can you share how their hours are spent..sorry im not being sarcastic/

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

On which issues are they speaking?

19. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Junior Doctors

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

We have to remember though that as an NHS doctor you are free of accountability and concerns of lawsuits and no job, to a certain degree. Same with any public sector worker. As in our profession, the 'best' (as in best paid) will work in the independent sector where you also have to deliver.

The NHS guarantees work, money and benefits.

I support them but there can be little doubt some are wanting their cake and eat it.