1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on these travel costs please, am I taking the p*??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by viscoelasticity, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I am in my second year of EPD, and can claim back travel expenses relating to my professional development from the GTCW.
    I chose to go on a course in London on a Saturday (A TES seminar) and I chose to go by train, (even though I can drive). To get to the course from the remote Welsh village where I work, I would have had to catch a train at 5.30a.m. and travel for 5hours!
    Rather than do this, I travelled to Chester on Friday night, and stayed at with my mum. I then caught the train at 8:30a.m. and enjoyed a speedy trip down!
    My question is: Is it reasonable for me to claim back the expense of my car journey to Chester, as well as my train fare? The drive cost me £70-80. Technically speaking I COULD have gone on the train from my village, despite the inconvenience, or driven to London directly. I do think that my detour was reasonable, but I don't know if I should try to claim it.
    What do you think?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Sorry to sound thick (or maybe just old!), but what are EPD and GTCW?

3. try to claim it - they can only say no! They will not say no to all of it - they may say they are not paying the drive or not paying the train but I cant see them saying no to both!

4. GTCW is General Teaching Council for Wales.
    EPD is Early Professional Development.
    The GTCW gives teachers in the first 3 years of their career (EPD teachers) and allowance to spend on things like courses, visits to observe in other schools, etc:)

5. Wow, wish i'd got a job in Wales!
    I do think its a bit cheeky trying to claim all that back. But it cant hurt to try...

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Why didn't the GTC ever do anything decent for teachers in England?

7. I know, we are lucky in Wales. New teachers get £3000 in the first year, £1000 in the second and £1000 in the third! You have to claim it within the year though, it won't roll over. I haven't managed to use all mine up, as courses have been cancelled, and they are thin on the ground in the summer term. That's why I think I might as well go for it with the travel expenses, if I don't claim it, I lose it.