1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on S Korea salary package?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pleco62, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I need your worthy opinions on a salary package - well known Brit school in Seoul, SMT post, £44k-£46k with accommodation and medical insurance, freight costs & annual flights. I'm a single person.
    Any good?
    Thanks

P

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Dear OP. Don't be greedy now. [​IMG] A fine wedge for teaching in the region.
    Puts my Indonesian salary to shame and I was more than comfortable on that.

3. The vast majority of western 'teachers' in korea (non qualified English teachers) earn in the region of 2-3 million won per month. The average probably being close to 2.4 million with a total of two weeks paid vacation a year. These teachers can save, from the money they earn.

I get paid more than them (i am fully qualified) - although i did take a pay cut from my last overseas position.

£45,000 = 6,666,666 won a month. As a single person you could live well and expect to save atleast 3 million won a month. On average i spend from 1-2 million a month. the cost of living is low, but with all capital cities expect to pay more in the capital.

It looks like a good deal.