1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

opinion on applicants at UPPER PAY scale

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by joeym, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello all...can I ask your opinion as heads on applicants for jobs on Upper pay scale...do heads prefer NQT s or Main scale teachers...why would you pay some one 30k plus when you can have some one 10k cheaper. Am i being pessimistic? I know some ads state the pay threshold etc but I wonder what my chances would be if applied.

cheers all

2. Hello all...can I ask your opinion as heads on applicants for jobs on Upper pay scale...do heads prefer NQT s or Main scale teachers...why would you pay some one 30k plus when you can have some one 10k cheaper. Am i being pessimistic? I know some ads state the pay threshold etc but I wonder what my chances would be if applied.

cheers all

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Heads prefer the best candidate. Despite popular mythology, heads tend to appoint the best one irrespective of their place on the payscale.

4. R13

R13 New commenter

Exactly what she said!

5. As a school governor, I entirely agree with the above posts.

6. To be fair does depend on your budget and how experienced the rest of the staff are. However, I would never shortlist someone I couldn't afford as it wastes everyone's time! Make your application really clear about what you could bring to school that would justify your extra salary. I've recently appointed and only shortlist ed experienced staff as that's what I needed in school in our current situation.
    Good luck!

7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

There is a definite primary / secondary gap here. I have not heard of any secondary school appointing candidates specifically because they were cheaper but budgets are much tighter in primary schools particularly one form entry or less. In that sort of situation cheaper teachers are appointed because the school can not afford the extra £10 000 that a UPS teacher would be paid