1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Operation Northern Thunder

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 20, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last night, after letting youtube play on into the long dark hours, it settled on a series of videos about how World War Three is about to kick off.

Obviously we all know the internet fuels the more conspiratorial mindsets... but it turned out that Operation Northern Thunder is a thing!

http://www.arabnews.com/featured/news/880491

Armed forces from Arab, Islamic and friendly countries started arriving in Saudi Arabia on Sunday for “North Thunder,” a military exercise to be held and commanded by the Kingdom
    The maneuver will be held at the King Khaled Military City (KKMC) in Hafr Al-Batin with participation of 20 countries and the GCC-formed Peninsula Shield forces as well.
    The participating countries are Saudi Arabia, UAE, Jordan, Bahrain, Senegal, Sudan, Kuwait, Maldives, Morocco, Pakistan, Chad, Tunisia, Comoro Islands, Djibouti, Oman, Qatar, Malaysia, Egypt, Mauritania, and Mauritius.
    North Thunder is the biggest military exercise of its kind in terms of the number of participating countries and military equipment, including fighter jets of different models, reflecting the quantitative and qualitative weapons the forces have.

So the theory is that on March 1st Saudi and Turkey will launch a massive Sunni invasion of Syria, crushing Assad and driving out the Russians and ISIS...

Not entirely sure I buy it... but at 3am it caught my interest.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Look I'm already having nightmares - you're not helping.

kibosh likes this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Could that actually happen? Is it likely to? It sounds horrifying.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry... was pretty unnerving at 3am as well...

I doubt it... I hope so... but then again Saudi has militarily intervened in Bahrain and Yemen recently.... so not impossible.

But we are in Alex Jones/Illuminati territory [for now]

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Conspiracy...

http://davidstockmanscontracorner.c...nder-prelude-to-saudisunni-invasion-of-syria/

350,000 soldiers, 20,000 tanks, 2,450 warplanes and 460 military helicopters are massing in northern Saudi Arabia for a military exercise that is being called “Northern Thunder”. According to the official announcement, forces are being contributed by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, Sudan, Kuwait, Morocco, Pakistan, Tunisia, Oman, Qatar, Malaysia and several other nations. This exercise will reportedly lastfor 18 days, and during that time the airspace over northern Saudi Arabia will be closed to air traffic. This will be the largest military exercise in the history of the region, and it comes amid rumors that Saudi Arabia and Turkey are preparing for a massive ground invasion of Syria.

If you were going to gather forces for an invasion, this is precisely how you would do it. Governments never come out and publicly admit that forces are moving into position for an invasion ahead of time, so “military exercises” are a common excuse that gets used for this sort of thing.

If these exercises are actually being used as an excuse to mass forces near the northern Saudi border, then we should expect an invasion to begin within the next couple of weeks. If it happens, we should expect to see the Saudi coalition storm through western Iraq and into Syria from the south, and it is likely that Turkey will come in from the north.

The goal would be to take out the Assad regime before Russia, Iran and Hezbollah could react. For the past couple of years, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and their allieshave been funding the Sunni insurgency in Syria, and they were counting on those insurgents to be able to take down the Assad regime by themselves.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Of course it is. It happens every time I eat sprouts.

oldsomeman likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well that'll crush Assad...

oldsomeman likes this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You've no idea. By bottom has a scorched earth policy. We live in a wasteland. Bring Assad to me . . .. .

oldsomeman likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll e-mail Alex [Alec?] Jones and have him weave it into the conspiracy theory!

oldsomeman and kibosh like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In the last days you shall hear or wars and rumours of wars.....then look up as the Last days are approaching.
    Even the devil shall appear as an angel of light and lead many astray.
    This might be a Christians point of view.
    Long as the scriptures suggested the end of the world would arise and begin in the Middle east.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well ISIS do think they are living out some sort of apocalyptic vision of the End Days so...

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You mean Aled, don't you?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    lanokia likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The German Cold War TV series Deutschland '83 that finished on C4 recently was fictional, but was based around the NATO exercise 'Able Archer' that nearly kicked off WW3 in central Europe. The Warsaw Pact became so convinced that it was a real pre-emptive strike that Boris Yeltsin had the lid off his nuclear command briefcase and was ready to push the metaphorical button.

14. magic surf bus

Given that most of the scriptures were written in the Middle East it's hardly likely they'd have predicted Armageddon starting in Latvia is it?

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Boris Yeltsin wasn't President of Russia in 1983. And he was never leader of the USSR.

It was Andropov...

racroesus likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

Andropov then, my mistake sorry.

lanokia likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't be sorry... I'm a History teacher... it's what we do.

Be annoyingly picky.

racroesus likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

Somewhat embarrassingly I was a History teacher too until 1986 @lanokia although I think our CSE Cold War coverage stopped short of Andropov's era. Well that's my excuse anyway. I still teach History in a different way now, but much earlier stuff.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its an exercise not the real thing.

However exercises are planned so that they mirror what could happen and provide valuable training if it does. Exercises also demonstrate to potential enemies what a country's (or collection of countries) military is capable of, hopefully detering the need to do it for real.

20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

So it's a sort of 'mine's bigger than yours' show in part then?

les25paul likes this.