1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Operating System Problem!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have recently installed a new operating system onto my home laptop.
    However, the new OS is not working correcly and I would like to restore back to the old OS.
    I have a file on the hard drive called "Windows.old", this contains the files from my old OS?
    Does anyone know how I can get back to my old OS?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You may have to re-install the old OS

3. Can I do that without buying it again?

4. impis

impis New commenter

Yes - if you have the disc.

5. It just came with the laptop the windows 7 os

6. impis

impis New commenter

oh dear.
    Whenver you get a new laptop, you should take the time to create a startup disk that you can use to reload the operating system and everything else it comes with.
    Can you take it back to where you bought it? maybe they'll have a restoration disc,

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

According to the Microsoft website (note bold print)
    <ol class="ordered_dec"><li class="step">Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.
    <li class="step">Do one of the following:
    <ul class="unordered"><li class="listItem">Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    <li class="listItem">If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
    [/LIST]<li class="step">Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
    <li class="step">Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
    <li class="step">On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.
    </ol>

8. magic surf bus

Ah the folly of cutting and pasting direct from another website...

9. magic surf bus

Take 2...... and Action!
    1.Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer using the computer's power button.
    2.Do one of the following:
    &bull;If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
    &bull;If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
    3.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
    4.Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
    5.On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

10. Thanks magic surf bus, but it didn't seem to work.
    I will have a go at re-downloading my old operating system today.