1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opera question (not urgent but feel florian would know).

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Crowbob, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Does anybody know the running time of The Flying Dutchman? My initial google searches are coming up blank. I really should know but don't. A rough time would be fine. Curious whether it is around the 3 hour mark or shorter. Didn't want to post on Music as feel it is not a "subject" question.
    Many thanks for contributing to the reduction of my ignorance.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Too long.

3. Crowbob

Well, at least that is an answer...

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

5. I think it's under 3 hours. It comes as a 2 CD set, given that the maximum length of time of music on a CD is 74 minutes (enough to accommodate Beethoven's 9th), then I reckon that's a guide.

6. A review of an amateur performance said it lasted 2 1/2 hours, 3 including the intermission.

7. I've got two productions of The Flying Dutchman on DVD and lots of recordings of it on CD, including one by English National Opera sung in English. Of the DVDs the production from the Savonlinna Opera Festival in Finland conducted by Leif Segerstam lasts 139 minutes and 1985 Bayreuth Festival production conducted by Woldemar Nelsson lasts 135 minutes. The Savonlinna production is fantastic, the stage is inside Savonlinna castle, the staging and makeup and everything is really spooky, and the Dutchman looks and sounds really ghostly . The Bayrueth version is OK, but the production turns it into 'Senta's Dream' rather than real events. There was a VHS video from Munich conducted by Sawallisch, buts is not available on DVD yet, however I saw it some years ago and it was the most 'tradtional' production.

8. Although its in three acts you won't always get intervals in the Flying Dutchman because there are alternative versions of it, and one version runs the end and start of the acts together with a bit of extra music, the scene changes can even happen without the curtain coming down. The production which used to be available on VHS video from the Munich Festival conducted by Sawallisch used this verison. The scene changes were done mechanically with the curtain remaining up and the orchestra playing. At the end of act 1 Senta's house either collapsed into the stage or spun up into the air, either way it was done impressively. So its like seeing Rhinegold which is one act in four scenes, without any interval.

9. I've just remembered that I've got a third Flying Dutchman on DVD, its another one by Sawallisch at Munich. That one is only 117 minutes, a shade under 2 hours. So it shows the conductor can make a big difference, Sawallisch is going at quite a pace there. It would be interesting to compare it with the timing of the Otto Klemperer studio recording with the New Philharmonia on CD, as Klemperer was very slow, and in addition he was ill at the time so Reginald Goodall, another very slow conductor, did the rehersals for him.

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I thought the whole point of The Flying Dutchman was that the running time was forever

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Pardon! - sorry I'm a bit deaf after those previous posts.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Me too. So much loud shouting.

13. Crowbob

Thanks to those who answered the question, much appreciated. Will make planning a trip coming up easier.