1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opera Diva's Shotton Primary Maths Assessment doc - instead of APP?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by llov1_04, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hey just wondered if anyone has successfully used the Shotton Maths document from Opera Diva as their assessment records, rather than using the Primary Strategy APP documents?

I absolutely love it because of the sublevels etc and can't see any reason why it can't be used instead, but worried I'm overlooking something important?!

Any thoughts would be great :)

2. Hey just wondered if anyone has successfully used the Shotton Maths document from Opera Diva as their assessment records, rather than using the Primary Strategy APP documents?

I absolutely love it because of the sublevels etc and can't see any reason why it can't be used instead, but worried I'm overlooking something important?!

Any thoughts would be great :)

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

now where can i find that? i've been looking for something else to use.

4. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shotton+primary+mathematics+assessment&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CGYQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fks2teaching.wikispaces.com%2Ffile%2Fview%2FShotton%252520Primary%252520Mathematics%252520Assessment%255B1%255D.doc&ei=MYUYT7DjGIyr-gbRnam9Cg&usg=AFQjCNGn5WuZc_S9mpGzE7b12uAEJ7MaWg&cad=rja
    If this doesn't work, Google it and it comes up :)
    Do you think it would be ok to use instead of APP? I can't see why not, but worried I'm missing an obvious problem?!

5. Hi, having been part of a massive assessment issue where there was a lot of over-egging the pudding, we felt we needed something detailed enough to support assessment judgements that were rigorous, robust and accurate.
    We have never used APP at all to make an assessment judgement as it gave us best fit and that what how we ended up with assessment issues in the first place using a best fit method.
    We have been using it for over 5 years now and colour code the assessment judgement per year group.
    We also looked at taking AT1 and AT2 and turning the statements in each into childspeak I can phrases to use as a target flip in the children's books. We left AT3 and AT4 out of the target flips as we agreed whenever delivering a unit on either of these ATs we would display layered targets during the lessons.
    The target flips are relatively new but staff and children have a clear steer on the assessment.

6. Thank you so much for your reply. I find APP such a drag and in no way useful when planning, but I always use the Shotton document as it really is fantastic!

Can I ask what target flips are? Is it just a type of booklet?
    Very cheeky, but I don't suppose it would be possible to have a copy of the AT1 and AT2 flips to look at - our school and targets are such an issue!!

Thanks again
    victoria.lloyd@hotmail.co.uk

7. Hi,

We have just introduced the Shotton Primary Mathemeatics Assessment and have set our targets against it. Please could you confirm how the point system works? Do all of the objectives have to be met for the child to be secure within that sub level?

Many thanks.