1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opening Xmas presents from children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

When do u open presents from the children in your class? I'm never really whether to open it in front of them or take them home??

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I ask the child,"Would you like me to open it in school?" If they want me to, I ask them to pop back at break/lunch and then they watch me open it and make an appropriate comment. Doesn't disrupt the classroom routines that way.

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

yes ,not in front of other children who may be embarassed that they haven't given a present.

4. As long as you're writing a thank you note and saying a friendly "thank you very much" and generally modelling what to do when a gift is received I don't think it matters either way :0)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do it as a whole class fun session. We all guess what might be in my presents and I talk a lot about what a lucky teacher I am to have such a lovely class. They do peer talk about what is the weirdest thing that might be in the present/prettiest/silliest and so on. While they chat, I smile and mouth my thanks to the child who gave the gift. That way the pile looks as if it is from 'the class' and not from individuals. No-one has ever minded.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What a lovely, considerate solution minnieminx! [​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL nooooo just came about cos I wanted to open all my pressies, but we are supposed to keep the children working. Soooo a member of SLT comes in and sees peer talk on the very last day of term, and a WALT and WILF on the board. They are happy and I get to spend half an hour opening pressies!

WALT: explore imaginative solutions
    WILF: talking and listening, unusual ideas, good vocabulary, confident sharing

There are ways round every situation!

8. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

That deserves a big [​IMG]

9. As a general rule, we don't get many Christmas presents anyway but yester one little lad in my clas who has 6 sibilings gave me his. I was so glad I did. He had drawn me a picture and made a card. Inside he had placed 5 Smarties. That made my day cos it was all he had.

10. I think it's important to open them on the day. The children may have spent time choosing them and it's important they know how much you like(!) and appreciate their effort. I also pop a note home that same day to thank parents for thinking of me.

11. Aren't these the most undignified conditions in which to work? Your post begs the questions; why do they have to be 'working?'- aren't they children? What if an SMT comes in and sees something else- two words there 'comes in', 'sees something', - who invited them in, are they welcome, do they come in with eyes open or eyes closed to all but set piece, stylised, formulaic interactions? Are we not back in the days of Joseph Lancaster when older children controlled younger children seated in tiered rows? What is this uniformity? this control? this agreed excellence? WILF and WALT can take a long WALTZ of a short pier if you decide it surely?
    I am at a loss to see where this conformity has come from, and the iron grip which it is taking on schools. You sound like a teacher who is suffering a great deal of pressure from the sqeezing of this ANaconda of stupidity that has coiled around schools and teachers throughout the UK so if I can puff any air into your lungs whilst you wriggle and try to slide away then I will. I must confess if I had the tools and knew where it was I 'd cut the bl***y head off at once.. Although then it will grow another one - see the latest 'standards for teachers' to get an idea of how the next one is taking shape.