1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Opening Schools massively increased infections

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Oct 25, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

2. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

It’s only what we have known all along. As the Tier restrictions fail and cases continue to rise, sooner or later people will work out the cause. The Government know this already but have tried to dupe the public into thinking it’s all about pubs and student parties. They will not close schools. Teachers (especially those working with teenagers) will just have to be put at increasing risk. But that’s ok, that won’t be a vote loser. Unlike Care homes and NHS staff who are cared about by the public, teachers are not popular.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Imagine my surprise.

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

No sh*t Sherlock:rolleyes:

flossy-fluffy, Lalad, Jamvic and 10 others like this.
  5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I feel it’s almost inevitable that there will be lockdowns in the run up to Christmas across year groups and that for older children the summer exams will be cancelled. Make sure you don’t get conned by that data again everyone!

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Can't remember where I heard it; that there were cases of Covid in every single school (whether this was county or country I don't know.) I daresay one of you "searchers" can confirm.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

What I don't understand is, it was obvious to anyone with a few brain cells that with schools reopening there would be a big increase in the amount of mixing between people going on. So how come the government did not try and minimise the level of infection in the country on the 1st September, rather than from mid June, seemingly giving up on any pretence of keeping the infection rate low.

Schools should be open for all pupils. That means that we all need (and the government should) take every possible step to minimise the amount of mixing that goes on in other areas of life.

Sally006, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  8. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

I love the fact that politicians can simultaneously believe that weekday traffic is due to the school run, and that opening schools doesn't increase the mixing of households.

9. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Foot of the stairs, anyone?

Lalad, Jamvic, jellycowfish and 3 others like this.
  10. costermonger

costermonger Established commenter

Well I for one am gobsmacked.
    Does this mean that Bojo and co are following the advice of useless scientists, or that they are ignoring the advice of competent ones?

Lalad, Jamvic, Catgirl1964 and 6 others like this.
  11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I was going to offer the use of mine

Lalad, Jamvic, cassandramark2 and 2 others like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No confirmed cases in our school yet but there have been in schools in the area.

We've been very lucky.

Really can't see the GCSE exams going ahead next Summer.

13. unpleasantsmells

unpleasantsmells New commenter

No cases in my school either but several in my friends' schools. One teacher in intensive care, several who've been off for two or more weeks recovering in schools nearby. Feeling very fortunate.

Having read a lot of threads on here about staff meetings, sports and other clubs going on, parents' evenings carrying on face to face and various other 'let's carry on as normal' ideas from SLTs across the country, it's not surprising that there's a significant increase based around schools. My school started well but fatigue has set in - kids not wearing masks, staff not wearing masks, bubbles starting to cross...it's all falling apart and no one seems to have the energy to get it back on track. I predict our first in-school case within two weeks of returning after half-term.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've done very well so far - the kids are wearing masks in corridors - the "bubbles" seem to be holding and staff are following the rules.

Everyone is miserable though and I've never known a half term like it for work. It has been relentless.

15. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Talking to a former colleague yesterday, the school had done really well until 10 days ago. Now groups of students being sent home everyday. Lots of staff testing positive. Some staff signed off with stress too. Sadly this was inevitable

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of our staff had a minor stroke two weeks ago - levels of anxiety and unhappiness are very high at the moment.

I'm not enjoying it.

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The actual article is a tad more balanced and uses the word 'associated'.

As it points out, re-opening schools was also 'associated' with going back to work, extra trains and busses, the whole caboodle. In essence, the end (then) of our partial lockdown.

Not really a surprise the rate went up. We could close every school in the country but if everyone still works, goes out and does not social distance much, it will still go up.

I read it more they are saying only a full lockdown could ever have worked.

That I agree with. Trying to point the blame on one particular group in society I do not.

And they don't.

The study, which looked at the spread of the virus in 131 countries, found that combining measures such as a public events ban, school closures and stay-at-home requirements is more effective in reducing coronavirus transmission than individual interventions.

ajrowing likes this.
  18. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

@moscowbore Do I remember, from a previous thread prob in late august, that you are in Spain and were expecting measures to be taken more seriously? I wondered how things are going, whether your school is managing to respect the recommendations and what support, if any, you're getting from the authorities.

19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have a sense from the news that opening universities has also had quite a bad effect.
    However, sitting at home for the next three or five years is not a viable option, is it?

20. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

How long will bubbles last? The stress of moving around as a teacher is unbearable